Saturday 12 July 2008

Just Thinking ...

This trip is hard for Kenya ... not just the actual trip ... but adjusting to new homes, new families, and new neighbourhoods and their dogs. If we had gone somewhere and rented a place she’d have had one situation to adjust to, or if I had left her at home and traveled alone it might have been easier for her ... but here we are ... and she has to adjust to a baby who travels on all fours and wants the same things she does ... and she already has to give things up to Micah who is the dominant dog ... and then there is the ancient cat, Luna, who fears dogs because she has lived with a mini-Husky pack ... and so she refuses to play with Kenya or give her hell and make it clear that she is not interested in playing. Kenya sometimes has trouble figuring it all out.

Tomorrow we are going to a spa to have her nails clipped ... I wish I could have her bathed as well because she is shedding her undercoat and doesn’t smell wonderful. But apparently groomers are in short supply here so we may have to find an out of town spa for the bath.

We are also going to the Saturday market tomorrow. I am looking forward to that expedition because Kerry has been so enthusiastic about it.

What did we do today? Walked dogs, cleaned, bought a barbecue, went to the Dollar Store, ate a great Vietnamese shrimp and many veggied salad, and that’s about all ... a very domestic day ... and I liked it.

I like Wolfville because it makes geographically good sense to me. (Not many places do.) And I like the disconnect I encountered in the grocery store when I went to buy rice noodles. I hunted and hunted ... no rice noodles. I had almost resigned myself to having to buy those Mr. Noodles packages whose main ingredient is salt, but decided to ask the boy at the cash if he knew where I might find the rice noodles. He was as clueless as I expected him to be but the young woman who was paying her bill told me that they were in the pasta aisle on a very low shelf ... and they were almost always out of stock. I returned the Mr. Noodle packages and hunted again among the shelves of wheat noodles. Finally I spotted two packages of Thai rice noodles on a bottom shelf across the aisle. I grabbed them. If the young woman had been there when I got back I would have shared. She wasn’t, so I hoarded.

Saturday Update

Today we went to the open air market without the dogs ... and had a good time despite the heat and the no-see-ums. It is a vibrant market with music, crafts, good food, and beautiful fresh vegetables and organic meat and poultry products.

Later we took the dogs to the beach at Kingsport where Kenya seemed relaxed for the first time since we left home. It was the first place that was natural. It was a fun time ... slices of pizza, a drink, rock hounding, and ice cream cones.

Next week we will worry about spa time. I could use a good massage too!



News Alert!!

Read tomorrow's blog for really exciting almost home invasion news!

No comments: