Sunday 13 July 2008

Oh My, My, My ...

Such Excitement!


Well! I was taking Kenya out for her last pee of the night and just standing on the front lawn waiting for the act to occur when, out of the night, a small dark coloured car pulled up to the curb and parked with the motor running. One young man got out of the back seat and headed for the apple orchard corner of Skyway and Kent. The other two swarthy young men emerged, their cigarettes glowing red in the dark. Kenya and I stood there, probably invisible, as they settled themselves against the car waiting for their friend. I walked forward with Kenya, out of the shadows, thinking they would say something when they saw me. They ignored us and began speaking to one another in Arabic or some other equally obscure language. Then they sped away.

I told Kerry and Maurice about it and Maurice called the police. Well, he tried to, but none of his house phones worked.

He had told us an hour before that the call Kerry made to Rob had never been terminated. Kerry was sure she had ended the call. Was this all part of something nefarious?

Maurice used his cell phone to call the RCMP. By the time they arrived and I spoke to them, the car had circled the block, driven in to the orchard and backed out with the man on foot following, and headed down Skyway.

Now we had to deal with the downed land line ... was there some kind of connection here? Or were these simply unrelated coincidences?

An unterminated phone call ... a mysterious car ... the failure of a home phone ...

Some might suspect a terrorist attack ... I just thought young thieves ... but maybe it was phone hijackers ... anyway, far more exciting than my usual blog entries!

Tomorrow Kerry and I are going to a water colour class and a music concert where Maurice will be playing and then company is coming ... Not as anxiety ridden but perhaps as exciting as this evening’s almost home invasion!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't get it. Was there a crime committed? Were these people doing something suspicious or were they just talking Arabic?

Oma said...

I tried responding before but was not successful ... it was all very odd but if there was any crime I likely thwarted it by walking out to greet them with a very large dog. The Arabic was simply an identification and based on their appearance ... any Middle Easterners would have appeared the same and probably sounded the same. I wasn't in the Middle East long enough to be certain it was Arabic. I just knew it wasn't a European language or an Asian one.