Wednesday 14 October 2009

Giving Thanks

Playing Catch-up again ...

A busy time again ... TheOr and Ralph came out and worked for several hours moving the cedar down the hill on Thursday, and then the weekend was jam packed with friends staying and sharing meals. It culminated in a turkey dinner on Monday. We delivered dinner to Barry who is recuperating from knee replacement surgery and then feasted ourselves ... Sean, Ying and Chen Chen were lovely dinner guests. Cheng Cheng has the most infectious laugh and irrepressible sense of humour imaginable. And he thinks I am a riot, especially when I imitate Kenya. He's twelve.

During the weekend two untoward occurences: the washer broke down again on Saturday; and the power went out during Sunday night.

I had a wonderful time when the power went out ... discovered an odd little internet cafe in the village where I can have a coffee or tea, read the Globe and Mail and play with my laptop whenever I so choose.

Perhaps both problems will turn out to be providential. After all, how many times will the washer konk out before they realize it is a defective machine and replace it?

Yesterday, I was kept prisoner by an unkept Sears appointment. It meant that Sarah and I were unable to go for a walk with Lucas and the dogs, but it also allowed me the time to play with an idea I got from something Sean said after dinner. When the piece is completed I will post a photo and tell you about it ... but likely not till next week because it will have to be a secret till then.

The scaffolding arrived this morning and the actual work will begin tomorrow. It will be a messy bothersome time, but I think it will be worth it to finally see this house looking as if it is complete. Houses never are, of course; there is always something that needs doing ... but this is the last of the huge expensive tasks. And the last one that needs doing without any more delay. There are closets to complete and repairs to be made because of the water damage that occurred when the roof failed ... but these feel manageable. And projects like the garden will be fun to work on.

I hope your Thanksgiving was as pleasant as mine. This year it was easy to feel thankful that I live on a beautiful lake, that I have funky furniture to play with, and that so many good people (and dogs) make up my circle of family and friends.

2 comments:

Erin Kuhns said...

I had similar frustrations with Bell the other day: I stuck around all afternoon, only to receive a call later in the day, telling me that they weren't coming. Grrrrr!

Over all, it sounds like a fabulous Thanksgiving, though! xo

SearsCare said...

To Oma,
My name is Brian and I am part of the Sears Cares escalations team. I apologize that you are encountering this issue with you’re the service on your washer. It isn’t typical that we miss service appointments and my team would like to make sure that this gets resolved for you. We are a group at the highest level that monitors the internet for posted complaints on Sears sold products. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at searscares@searshc.com and we would be happy to help. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the washer was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, please provide the screen name (Oma) used to post here for reference to this issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Thank you,

Brian J.
Senior Case Manager
Sears Cares