Saturday 20 September 2008

Burrs are not funny

Burrs are not funny ...

OW thought it would be a cute joke to leave a giant burdock looming in the side yard. Kenya was continually getting the green burrs in her feathers (yes, dogs have feathers ... lovely long silky ones in Kenya's case.)

I asked him to help me get rid of it when he came over. He chopped it down and then flung it down a steep slope into the wooded area. I said it would be better to bag it so it wouldn't spread ... his response ... "I don't bag" ...

A few minutes later, Kenya discovered a little orange cat and treed it. Of course she chased it right through the burr bush.

Last night I looked at the mess and contemplated the idea of cutting out the tangles but I really did not want to do that to her, so I spent a couple of hours combing out her tail. It must have been painful but she was very patient. This morning I did the feathers on her legs. All the hair that is normally long and sleek had become matted and kinky as it curled around and into the dry brown burrs.



Kenya is back outside again. I hope I can manage to get the burdock under wraps before she finds it again. And I have thousands of tiny seeds to sweep up everywhere she has walked indoors. Next year I will like have a bumper crop of burdock!

No comments: