Sunday 7 September 2008

Feeling Small

I had an experience recently that made me feel very small. It had been a long time since anyone made me feel that way, and I didn't like it at all.

I thought about the times I have made other people feel diminished and wish I could erase them. I know I made my older children feel that way when I noticed their mistakes instead of focusing on their achievements. I think I wanted them to be like well-trained dogs who never embarrassed me in public. I don't think I did that as often to my younger children and I know I didn't do it with my students.

How was I made to feel small? I wasn't allowed to help. I couldn't cook or wash dishes or help clean up. I felt as if I would be in the way. As a result I felt at first like a princess being waited upon and then like a huge burden. I began to question everything about my competency.

It didn't help that Kenya was in unfamiliar situations all summer and everything she has been encouraged to do to make our lives easier here on the lake didn't fit in, so by the time I got to this situation, I already felt as if my competency as a dog owner was in question. The dogs at this particular place were all city dogs trained to obey instantly. And the ones who hadn't completely got the message were disciplined so often it was annoying.

Dogs were never allowed to figure out their pack order. A human always intervened, whether it was necessary or not. I know there are situations in which humans must intervene because the dogs are not capable of recognizing some things. Rob's ancient and infirm dogs, for example, needed protection from Kenya's exuberance and loud voiced bossiness. Poor Chloe fell right over one time when Kenya yelled at her for eating her food. But these dogs were all young and healthy and quite capable of establishing rank order without interference. None of them, including Kenya, were vicious dogs who might inflict injury.

I value the fact that Kenya can think independently because that is what works best for her in our hermitage. I want a dog that barks when there are intruders of either the two- or four-legged variety. Once I assure her that she needn't worry about it, she usually stops barking.

It is important when you live on a lake that your dog think for herself and deal with new situations by considering things and then acting intelligently. A dog which responded to commands unquestioningly would be less likely to be able to figure out what to do when the ice was breaking up or when she was out of my sight. A dog that is totally dependent on people would not be much help in looking after other dogs either. I want a dog that can think for herself, but such a dog is not always obedient.

And in Kenya's case, because we look after other dogs, she is also very bossy. It is all sound and fury but such bitchiness can be misinterpreted.

I have never been able to train Kenya to come the instant she is called, and I doubt if anyone could without breaking her spirit. Here at the lake, she comes when I want her to, she always shows me where she and the other dogs are when I ask her to, and she stays on our property and keeps the other dogs with her.

But here at the lake she doesn't have to deal with busy streets or people and dogs passing by the house every few minutes. And she never has to protect her food bowl from the ravenous appetites of Labs.

I think this trip must have been really hard on Kenya, even though she was a great traveler who patiently endured hours and hours of driving. I think she likely felt small too because she was getting into trouble for things that had been accepted or encouraged all her life; because I couldn't allow her to use her strengths; and because she went from being a partner to being a burden who could embarrass me in front of strangers.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

At first I thought that you were talking about us...that Rob waited on us hand and foot too much. I felt sorry for Kenya while she was here because our guys could play with her.

I know what you mean about worrying about whether your dog misbehaves...and how it feels like taking your kids somewhere and they act up. I think that as parents and animal owners, we sometimes worry more than we should. Kenya was fine here and would be welcomed back.

Anonymous said...

That should have read, "wouldn't"

Anonymous said...

LOL...I should proof read...it should have read, "Couldn't"

Oma said...

At your place, Deb, I felt welcome and comfortable ... I felt bad about leaving dog hair for Rob to vaccuum up but I didn't feel small with you. I am glad we are both welcome to return. It was fun.

Kerry said...

It takes the owner of a bitch to understand the bitchy bitching. Before you got Kenya, when Mica did it, you found it scary too, remember? I don't know male dogs that do that...if they're dominant they act like Shay, growling and stiff. It isn'r as scary as the bitchy bitch :-)

Oma said...

I agree, mud mama ... but I usually trust the owner when she says her dog is all sound and fury; that she just seems vicious because of the nastiness of the sounds and the bared teeth. I said this to Deb and she relaxed. You said it to me and I relaxed. This time nobody relaxed. I knew no blood would flow but it was apparent that the people here did not believe me.

When I got home Kenya said something nasty to Remi (about a stick, I think) and all the same things were in place. She even put her mouth on his neck. Sarah's response: calm acceptance. Remi's response: he licked her all over her face, including the teeth!

Kerry said...

I love Remi...my next dog is going to be a Remi :-)