Wednesday 17 September 2008

Seven Things I Learned as a Nomad

I learned some philosophical truths and important lessons about relationships of all kinds as I lived my nomadic summer, but I also learned seven very simple truths about more practical things.

1. I learned how to knit the Russian way which is also the European way ... but I still do it the Canadian way despite the fact that it is far less efficient and much slower. Ingrained habits are hard to change. But I am back knitting again after what feels like a century, so it was helpful to learn to knit like a Russian.

2. I learned how to felt, and so I am going to start using all the woollen sweaters I bought at Frenchies and other secondhand stores to felt tea cozies. Felting is fun, but these first tea cozies, like the first sweater I am knitting, are going to be worth a fortune because of the cost of setting up a new hobby.

3. I discovered Frenchies. Wow! It would be worth an air ticket to Nova Scotia just to tour the Frenchies outlets. Way better quality and price than Value Village or even the Sally Ann.

4. I learned that young women are all shaving entirely now. I am not sure I wanted to learn that, but one of the young women I know is extremely forthright. I thought it was to please the men, but I was told it was all about cleanliness. I am glad I am no longer a young woman. I like my natural fluffiness.

5. I learned that canoeing is much easier if both paddlers know what they are doing and can trust one another, and if they are not contending with a bratty thirteen year old whose mission is to embarrass her mother. I am glad my children are no longer thirteen.

6. I discovered Nova Scotian wine. The liquor outlet in Wolfville is barely stocked, and few bargains can be found, but there are wineries in the Valley, and one sells very good red and white wines. There are also no bargains to be found there, though!

7. I discovered that my son is a very good cook. He has an intuitive sense of how to put together different ingredients and flavours to bring out the best in them ... and everything he cooks is healthy simple food. I decided to get back to another old project of mine: collecting recipes made by peasants.

3 comments:

Barbara Carlson said...

I'm sure that list could go on and on, eh?
#4...doesn't it itch??

Your hike sounds great, esp. with big dogs who bring such life to any adventure.

Oma said...

I think it must ... itch, that is.

Yes, the hike was great, especially with the dogs.

Anonymous said...

Apparently because they keep it shaved, it never gets to the itchy point. It is just part of the daily grooming process