Tuesday 23 September 2008

A Not Very Good Day

It has not been a good day.

It started out fine. Sarah and I took the dogs for a walk in the woods and I photographed a faerie in a tree and a magical rock. But from there on things went downhill quickly.

First the dryer repairman arrived and said the problem was either something clogging the motor or the motor had died and I would have to be very unlucky for the second to have occurred. Most dryer motors last a lifetime. I'd had the dryer for less that 18 months and I'd used it for about 50 hours in that time because I prefer to dry things on the line.

Well ... turns out I am very unlucky. That bill was $387.00.

Then when he left, I heard Kenya yelping from up the mountain behind my place. My first thought was an illegal trap. I went straight up and discovered that she had cornered a porcupine.

I did everything possible to get her away short of throwing myself on top of the porcupine who was spinning in circles trying to keep his tail toward the enemy.

I went down and came back up, panting and sweating, with a Dentibone and the leash. She refused to be distracted.

I tried poking her with a stick and ordering her home. No luck.

I went back down and thawed some beef and brought it up the hill. Better diarrhea than more quills. By the time I got to the top of our own hill she was coming toward me, her face a mess of quills, and I didn't need to bribe her to come to me.

I put her in the car and drove to Sarah's thinking two of us might be able to get the quills out. But after the first couple she shied away every time. Her tongue was bleeding from one stuck in there ... likely one she'd attempted to remove herself.

I called the vet.

They gave her a shot and checked her heart and I put her in a crate where she cried piteously.

Then they gave me the estimate ... and I felt like crying piteously too.

$313.79.

Today an inanimate object with flaws likely made on a Friday afternoon near quitting time and a stupid stupid dog managed to cost me a total of $700 and change.

I feel a bit like Joe BL#$%^&, the little guy who went around under a rain cloud all the time.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

How is Kenya feeling today? Poor baby.

hybrasil said...

Don't you know the fairies don't like to be photographed!

Oma said...

Kenya slept for 6:30 yesterday till 8 this morning. Then she came downstairs wearing the fleece blanket with which I'd covered her and looked outside, ate her Dentibone, took her pills with cheese and ate a hearty breakfast.

She has likely forgotten all about her ordeal ... a drug induced forgetfulness.

I thought about the faeries' dislike of having their spirits stolen by cameras much later. I should have thought about it when it seemed impossible to take the photo in the first place. Every one I tried was out of focus.

Any ideas for preventing Kemya from doing this again ... or for appeasing the faeries?

Kerry said...

Oh dear, she very well might not remember WHAT caused the incident either - a lot of anesthetics make you lose 24 hours or more!

No clue how to prevent it!

Oma said...

I wish I ... moi meme ... Barbara ... Oma ... could forget the 24 hours that were yesterday!

Tamarak said...

What a shitty day!
From my memory of a friend's dog, Nellie, that I babysat for 2 years while she taught way up north, Nellie had a tangle with a porcupine once and learned...she could not, however leave those smelly skunks alone...she never learned that lesson!
So lets hope Kenya, a smart girl, remembers the pain associated with those prickley beasties!
The dryer, however, is a dumb inanimate object that will never learn enything!

Anonymous said...

I guess she's more like Boots than you thought. Didn't he consistently find porcupines?

Sorry to here about the pecuniary difficulties associated with the incidents of the day.

Hugz,
TechWood

Oma said...

I hope that Kenya is more like Nellie than Boots, but even Boots only chased them once a year.

Right now Kenya is only outside tied or on-leash ... but I don't want to have to confine her forever.

Apparently it is mating season for the prickly beasts, so maybe they will be out and about in great numbers just this month.

On the advice of another faithful reader I took a gift of cheese and left it in the woods under a mushroom near the faeries with a small prayer to bless me and keep Kenya safe. Apparently faeries like dairy products.

Anonymous said...

So do bears :-P