So ... how to cultivate boredom?
1. Stay here at the lake all the time ... eventually it will become boring.
2. Stay off the computer when boredom begins ... and just look out the window instead ... or into the fire.
3. Don't watch a movie ... meditate instead.
4. Put that book down and just relax.
5. Don't start working on a new project unless it is one of boredom's gifts.
6. Don't substitute company or a drive for boredom ... welcome it.
7. Walk on familiar paths that require little thinking.
8. Snowshoe ... it is incredibly boring to simply put one foot in front of the other mile after mile.
9. Kayak around the lake noticing the shoreline, the paddle strokes, the trees.
10. Relax in the tub with just candles for light and let the mind wander.
11. Knit without distractions.
12. Do repetitive chores like sanding wood or patching cracked plaster.
13. Lie in bed an extra half hour just stroking Kenya's softness.
14. Doodle in a journal.
15. Make a zentangle.
16. Play with clay without intent ... in the same way zentangles happen.
How do you invite your unconscious mind to play?