Saturday 4 October 2008

Waiting for My Mail to Come In

Yesterday every walk hurt and there were three of them. Even pottery class hurt because I was standing on a cement floor the whole time. Garry, who was walking his two huskies and is an athlete, told me HOW to use the RICE method ... You take 20 minutes in the evening and put your foot higher than your body and ice it. That along with the compression bandage when I walk the dogs should help. Certainly after following his advice, last night was a better night than the preceding one.

Always before when my knee acted up, the pain and swelling started in the knee and stayed there. This time it started in the ball of my foot and traveled up along the shin to the outer hip. Then it started to affect the knee and the groin area. Finally it localized itself to the knee with only occasional twinges in the calf and groin. Until it settled into the knee giving me the familiar symptoms I had no idea what was going on.

In pottery class we learned how to make things using the slab method and we did some staining and glazing on pieces that were ready. I have nearly finished the piece I started last week, a coil dish. I always seem to be one class behind. Carrie came to the house and we are going to do the tiles for the bathroom together but will do those outside regular class time because I really want to work on the different methods as she teaches them. There are two excellent potters and one good one in the class ... and then me. One of the excellent ones is brand new but she seems to have a real gift. She mastered the wheel the first class and yesterday made a beautiful lantern for a candle.

When I got home I discovered tin foil on the floor and toilet paper strewn upstairs. Tango had eaten the banana bread on the counter and then rummaged through the waste basket beside the toilet. From the delectable to the disgusting. I am so used to Kenya's disinterest in such things that I had not closed the bathroom door or cleared the counter before I went to class.

I have started the in-floor heating. Well I have tried to get it going. The breakers for that tank keep switching off so I have gotten in the habit of checking their position every few hours. They stayed put all night so I hope that is a good sign. I really want this system to work because it is the nicest heat imaginable ... cozy without any intrusion or pollution ... sort of like living in a tropical area. Warm inside in winter but cooler inside in summer. I was always surprised in Jordan that our apartment with its thick walls was such an oasis of coolness despite the fact that there was no air conditioning. The cement slab floor operates much the same way except that it requires heating in winter.

Someone must have sent me a photo or 5 because I have been trying to receive the first message in my e-mail since 7 a.m. — almost twenty minutes. I hope it is worth the wait and not some piece of junk mail forwarded by someone I have already told to PLEASE stop sending me these image-dense messages.

Well it was both ... a video about Kotex set in the fifties ... when they were the size of diapers and attached to sanitary belts. It was very funny The rest of my mail was less interesting but I did get one spam message whose heading was:

"Waken your body and produce the necessary growth of an organ."

Now doesn't that give rise to interesting speculation!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I learned when I was on dial up that if a large email was clogging my incoming mail, that the best thing to do was to shut down my email and go to www.mail2web.com (which is where I pick up all of my mail remotely) and by the sender's name, I could usually tell if it is something that I wanted to open...I know that was a horrible run on sentence but you get my drift/

Oma said...

I've done that too, Deb ... but in this case I might have decided against opening it ... and then would have miss the fun. I will be very glad when Pike Lake enters the 21st century ... at least as far as High Speed Internet Access is concerned.