Saturday 7 March 2009

Almost Spring and the Writing Trudges on in Waterproof Boots



Yesterday I went through the first 20 chapters and made myself a kind of visual representation of it. I wish I had a white board wall in my den, but this worked okay ... 20 pieces of paper taped together and strung out in two rows on the wood of the kitchen counter back so that I could read it from the dining room.

I discovered some gaps and I realized what needs to be written ...

Generally, since I started work on it again, I have been guilty of wanting to move the story forward to its appropriate conclusion. That can lead to plot driven crap. Those parts need to be re-written ... which of course may end up changing the direction of the novel.

Some writers can plan their books. That would work for me with non-fiction maybe ... but maybe not even then. Writing tends to be something alive rather than static. It takes on a life of its own and determines its own path. At least that's what happens when it is going well.

When it is not, I find myself dictating to it and it dies and becomes just words that fit in boxes.

It is still hard slugging but I have decided which chapter to send in for critiquing and admission to the Great Blue Heron workshop June 30-July 5 in Antigonish. (A very early one ... Chapter 2 ... because the writing was leading me then, and maybe it will be good enough to gain me acceptance to this workshop.)

I make lists for myself and it is amazing how the same items appear daily because I hate making phone calls or dealing with my dial-up system for business.

This weekend I will go out and play in the puddles and I will write because I can't do the phone calls till Monday and the dial-up connection is even more crowded on the weekend.

Next week I will call to make a medical appointment, get reimbursed for an out of province medical fee incurred at Christmas, I will cancel a credit card I never use but pay an annual fee for, I will finish the registration for Great Blue Heron, and I will deal with the on-line registration for the desk light I bought.

Remind me! Embarrass me!

It is almost spring and I have no commitments this weekend so I can dig out the violent pink rubber boots and wear them over the colourful yellow socks. Maybe I will go over to one of my neighbours and learn how to finish my socks properly. I have a lovely vibrant red sock whose toe is ready to be woven. OH! Did I tell you? Yesterday a big bag of yarn arrived from Kitchener-Waterloo. Some of it is sock yarn that knits up in a fair isle pattern by itself ... and it has aloe vera in it to make it feel wonderful to knit.

Maybe the socks and boots will encourage more colourful writing.

But then ... maybe the new yarn will entice me away from writing ... again ...

No comments: