Tuesday 10 March 2009

Dealing with Dial-up and Quebec Bureaucracy

GRRRRR!

It is nearly noon and all I have done this morning is bake banana bread, do half the on-line banking, send off by email the submission for the workshop, and fill out the Elections Quebec form.

The rest of the chores are still not done, and it has nothing to do with procrastination this time. It just takes forever to do anything because I have to keep on re-dialing and spending time waiting for screens to load.

I also have to photocopy 2 documents before I can send off the Election forms so that I can vote in the provincial election next time. Amazing how difficult it is to live here sometimes. I had no trouble voting in the Federal election but was denied my vote in Quebec because they screwed up my address. It never helps that the form they send is unilingual. I can read it but it takes much longer to ensure that I get everything right. Sometimes I feel as if I need a mentor ... you know ... the kind of person who eases a refugee or immigrant through the intricacies of the new system. Sometimes I am pleasantly surprised by how easy everything is but just as often everything seems completely foreign to me, and I feel as if I am running up against intransigent brick walls of bureaucracy that make no sense at all.

I haven't made any of the phone calls on my list and I have one more on-line chore to accomplish.

I may not get any writing done today at all. Damn.

No comments: