Monday 16 March 2009

Quick Post from a Busy Household

My usually quiet hermitage is bursting at the seams with energy.

Sprout is singing with his dad in their bedroom after a good night's sleep aided by a homeopathic teething remedy. The night before he was high on his first chocolate. We discovered that chocolate not only makes him hyperactive and unable to sleep; it also ups his gastric acid production and makes him very grumpy. No more chocolate for Sprout!

Mica and Kenya went on a very long run yesterday. After an hour and a half they had not returned despite calling for them ... (very unusual) ... so I went out in the car looking. I had almost reached the main road when I saw Mica's silver form shoot out of the bush and come onto the road. I tried to offer her a ride but she was on a mission. She was following Kenya who was streaking for home quite a bit ahead of her. At home they drank gallons of water and ate a treat and then they slept for hours. Mica continued to sleep long after Kenya was re-energized and we noticed that she was not just exhausted but limping. She is refusing food and treats now and it seems that she has broken one of her toenails right to the quick. They had been going cross country over the mountain and Mica was very muddy so who knows exactly where or how the accident might have happened. I suspect they were chasing the deer and she caught her foot in fencing or undergrowth. From now on they will be let out in tandem. No more going out together for these two girls.

Mud Mama and I have been poring over the knitting book she brought with her ... one skein wonders ... and I have nearly finished the second sock of the pair I started last week. These will be Nature Girl's birthday present, I think. Mud Mama has been practising various stitches and things while she has a guide at the side.

I did a ham wrapped in bread dough yesterday for dinner. I started the bread dough the evening before and Mud Mama stayed up and played with it for hours after I went to bed so that it was ready by morning. (I hadn't put nearly enough water in it and then mud mama put in too much and had to knead flour into it before putting it into the fridge.

It has been nice having family around. The hermitage bustles for a change.

2 comments:

Tamarak said...

Sounds like you are having fun!!!

Did Mud Mama bring all her deliveries of wonderful wool and teas?...and Many Mints tea with our name on it???

Is Mica ok? Naughty girls going walk-about!...or should I say 'run-about'?

I have just recently heard about doing a chicken wrapped in bread dough...how did the ham turn out?
Do you eat the cooked dough afterwards???

Oma said...

We are having fun. MM brought everything and your many mints tea is waiting for you.

I don't think Mica is badly hurt but she is still not feeling herself.

The ham was very good ... tender and moist and the flavours were locked in nicely. One part of the dough was soggy abut the flavours were nice (different from the ham itself).