Sunday 22 March 2009

The Sudden Emptiness of the Hermitage

For ten days the hermitage bustled with activity created by dogs and family. Yesterday it really swelled when the three older children arrived. Then, just as suddenly, the noise, the clutter and the love stopped ... like a clock in mid-rhythm. Everyone clambered up the 39 steps and into the van and disappeared.

Before I even had a chance to breathe a sigh of relief that I had my orderly solitary life of solitude restored to me, I felt terribly terribly lonely. Mud Mama and her noisy brood had been sucked out of my life leaving only a vacuum in their place.

I felt the way Kenya always feels when we give back our dog boarders ... bereft.

The two of us are moping around. Kenya keeps flopping down on a surface near me. I try to fill the empty quiet with spring cleaning.

Three months is a long time to wait for another visit. I wish Mud Mama lived close by. I wish all my children did.

3 comments:

red fraggle said...

Well we wish for the same thing then - and solve our emptiness by cleaning - and yet my house is not clean yet.

I love the den art!

Oma said...

Welcome red fraggle ...

I am very torn ... I think the Annapolis Valley is a wonderful place to raise a healthy family ... but I miss Mud Mama and the whole brood terribly. I may have to follow them if they decide to stay there.

red fraggle said...

It is a beautiful place - and I know that T is happy there. It's a hard decision I'm sure.