Monday 6 April 2009

Busy Weekend

Well, for a hermit, it was a busy weekend! I spent Saturday knitting and making Greek pasta sauce ... nothing very strenuous ... but I went to the Unitarian Universalist service on Sunday with Tamarak and her Carino. They have a new interim minister who is intelligent and funny. And they have a candidate for a permanent position coming in the next few weeks for final interviews ... so perhaps I will begin attending more regularly. After a long hiatus everything felt alien. The rituals that I liked best have been changed ... friendly little songs that used to usher out the children and conclude the service. They didn't disappear but they'd been replaced by new ones.

After the service we went into the meeting hall where books, beverages and food are available.
It is the place where volunteers serve tea and coffee and kids of all ages gobble free cookies. I noticed that the number of homemade goodies had diminished since I was a regular attendee. Fewer volunteers, I suspect.

The woman serving beverages at the table I chose looked to be quite undone by the demands of her job. Upper middle class, well coiffed ... with pursed lipped ... and obviously harried ... she lost all pretence of good manners when it became too much for her. Just before I arrived she ousted two men and refused to serve them. She had her back to me so I poured a mug of what I thought was tea and then realized it was coffee. I was about to give it to Tammy when the hostess snapped at me, "If you'd just let me pour it ... ". I apologized (don't I always?) and she attempted unsuccessfully to regain her persona of unruffled grace. Carino was behind me and she metaphorically slapped his wrist as well.

We left and wandered around looking for something familiar. Huge pussy willows were available for sale. We admired but didn't buy. Another fund raising project was selling grass seed. The friendly faces we sought were few and far between, but those living in sanctuary (or recently moved into their own housing) were still selling their food. The Mia family have lentil soup, pakoras and other goodies. The new man has sushi plates. We went with the Mia family fare.

We decided to make a detour to the pottery show rather than going directly home. I wanted a plant stick. Tamarack wanted to buy Carino a coffee mug. I ended up with a beautiful mug, a fridge magnet and a small plant stick. I find it very difficult to watch my budget when I lust after pottery or wool,I am finding.

After lunch Kenya and I headed back to the hills, and I continued to knit. I finished the seaman's cap and will deliver it to Eric today.

No comments: