Wednesday 20 May 2009

Dandelion Days

On my counter sits the most beautiful loaf of dandelion bread ... a yummy golden gift from nature. In my fridge is the rest of my harvest waiting for me to liberate more petals. I think, though that I will throw those out and harvest my next lot tomorrow morning, but this time I will wear rubber finger cots on all the fingers with rough skin from painting and washing up. Two thumbs and a finger are now black with a combination of paint and dandelion residue. I hope no one who matters notices! I look like I never wash my hands, not as if I have them continually in water! Does anyone have a remedy ... Mud Mama, do you know what to do???

I love this time of year when the sun shines on fields and woods alive with the brilliance of dandelions and the new growth on all trees. Today is a grey day but outside my window the young buds on the ends of evergreen branches stand out against the older needles and the young leaves on the maple sing a yellow green song.

Inside, the new paint on old bulletin boards makes me happy too. The new paint palette is inspiring different images by the way and I am heading down to work on the ugly table's top.

But first ... some quotes related to solitude ... that I agree with ...

"He who lives in solitude may make his own laws." Publius Syrius

"An ivory tower is a fine place as long as the door is open." Darby Bannard

"There is no companion that is as companionable as solitude." Thoreau

... and a thought of my own ...


Living in a hermitage is fine as long as you know that there are people who care enough about you to respect your need for solitude while at the same time bringing laughter and love to your place in the woods.

Today Sarah is coming for lunch with her dog and her baby. Kenya and I will both be made happy by the influx of youthful energy.

Good thoughts to #2 Daughter who is having the first of her tests today, to #1 Daughter who is traveling in this direction to be with her, and to #3 Daughter who is mourning a friend being held on life support until his organs can give new life to others.

And to all of you reading this today, may it be a dandelion day for you ... one drenched in sunshine.

3 comments:

Kerry said...

Sorry! My fingers are perpetually stained with dandelion ink. The only time I ever wore nailpolish was when I was doing tons of wildcrafting because I couldn't get the skin edging my nails clean looking.

Oma said...

I am going to try the finger cots now that my two thumbs are almost clean! i definitely want to make more dandelion bread!

Oma said...

I am going to try the finger cots now that my two thumbs are almost clean! i definitely want to make more dandelion bread!