Tuesday 12 May 2009

Mother's Day 2009

Mother's Day was special this year. In fact the whole weekend was special.

On Saturday I moseyed around Wakefield with a friend and neighbour ... a garage sale where an old harridan screeched at me because I innocently picked up the chair she intended to buy, a sidewalk sale where I bought a local vegetarian cookbook, and a place that sells Nova Scotia slate. Later we planted Mugo pines.

On Sunday I had brunch at Marta's and then attended a story telling event with Tamarak , Jesse, Marta, and one of my daughters (the one I most needed to hug). Afterwards Tamarak's Carino made dinner for Tamarak, her daughters and me. Kenya and went home very early on Monday morning, and I began to work on a suggestion by Tamarak.

I didn't start taking photos until we were at Tamarak's ... so only a small part of the weekend shows up in the photos I've posted ... but the whole weekend was special. Something bitterly sweet happens when one of your children becomes vulnerable ... you realize just how much you love her ... how much you love all your children ... and it extends outward in ever widening circles until you understand how important everyone you love is to you.

2 comments:

deb said...

Now I know why I couldn't reach you...partying till the wee hours eh? Like mother, like daughter. The kids came over and I got into the wine.

Oma said...

Actually, I was in bed by ten ... but I stayed over because we had aperitifs before dinner and wine with ... and I didn't want to drive after drinking.