Saturday 30 May 2009

Have a happy weekend as we move into June

I am delighted with myself. I spent about an hour on my slow moving dial-up service attending to one of the items on my to-do list. I cashed in most of my Aeroplan miles which have been gathering dust and threatening to disappear if not used and I now have a new camera and $1000 worth of Costco merchandise. I spend about $200 a month at Costco buying food for me and Kenya so that is five months of not having to pay those bills. The camera is a Nikon D60 (almost the same as Mud Mama's) so it will provide two things for me ... a new learning opportunity and better photos than I can get with my cheap little FinePix. I gave away my last camera to someone in Kenya and have not taken a decent photo since! I know I won't be getting the kinds of shots Mud Mama gets ... but maybe with perseverance I will eventually get some good ones.

Now to deal with the next item on the list: planning my lessons for next week.

I laughed when I read Hybrasil's suggestion but I think I am going to try to steer Andreas to more light-hearted topics. The comma lesson he requested comes from Lynne Truss' book, Eats, Shoots and Leaves, the only best seller about English grammar and punctuation ever published. I think a humourous essay might be nice ... something that makes one think in order to laugh.

I have some paw prints to paint on the Happy Cat chair and some linking trims to complete, and then I will put on the three coats of polyurethane to finish it by the end of the weekend. Do I need anything on either side of the cartoon cats on the front side of the back? It looks to me as if it needs something ... empty gold fish bowls or cages or paw prints ... suggestions welcome.

I will likely sand another chair and apply the primer so that I am ready for another painting project next week. I find that painting silly things on chairs is a wonderful escape after spending three hours with Andreas!

My weekend started yesterday. Rowboat Flo and I went to the Chelsea rummage sale where I bought a couple of videotapes for $2 and Flo got a denim jacket for $2.50. Then we went back to her place for dinner. This afternoon I am attending a birthday party. I hope the weather cooperates so that we can party on the deck as well as indoors (and that the black flies and mosquitoes take a break). I have to make a dish to take with me ... I am thinking of lemon bread ... but maybe dandelion bread?

I hope you all have a happy weekend too.

2 comments:

Shaun said...

I seriously love the Happy Cat chair. It is my absolute favourite. I have been thinking about the front of the back (I like that term). Maybe small cat pawprints leading up to each cat? Not that I wouldn't want it just the way it is now.

Eats, Shoots and Leaves is on my bookshelf and can always make me laugh. I'm comma obsessive.

We are planning to get our first D-SLR camera soon. We know it will be a Canon or Nikon but that's as far as we've decided. The Canon 5D is winning so far. Let us know how you like yours as you go along.

Hope the Birthday party went well.

Oma said...

I am really glad you like this one. I think I am moving further away from my original guide and deeper into my own imagination here ... and that is what I have to do if I am not to be simply reproducing one that worked.