Monday 18 May 2009

Playing Catch-up

Now that I have a life outside blogging I find that I am not writing as regularly as I did. My apologies to those of you who drop in daily to see what's new.

I have been painting and preparing surfaces for painting. It would be a lot easier if I were painting pictures but I have no wall space left in this house of many windows, so furniture that has other purposes must act as my canvas. Besides of course, the quality of my "art" could not make it as a painting on a wall.

I went out the other day and drove around the countryside just breathing in the springness that was suddenly everywhere. Every shade of green had exploded overnight and the fields were alive with dandelions. Less than two kilometres from home two deer bounded across the road and into a water-filled culvert and then simply gazed at me calmly while I sat there in the car and talked to them. I discovered two garage sales even though it was a weekday. At one I bought three interesting old painted chairs, and, at the other, two pretty tin boxes and tents for holding up tomato plants.

I have started to clean up the chairs so that I can sand them before applying primer. The first one is proving a challenge. Its top coat of green continues to flake after each stage. Tamarak has suggested a wire brush.

On Friday evening I drove off on the spur of the moment with Kenya to Lanark to visit my son. My favourite step son, was visiting from British Columbia. We ate very well ... those men are good cooks! We all drank more than we should have as we reminisced about the long ago teenage years and got caught up on the last thirty or so years. It was fun. Kenya and I slept above the store on a futon and headed out at 6:30 a.m. to start the 21/2 hour drive home.

On Sunday morning we met the next dog we will be boarding. Laird is a beautiful two year old tri-colour collie who is very submissive. Kenya frightened him by shouting at him when he nosed around in places she regards as off limits, but they had a good time playing together and chasing one another outside. In the afternoon Kenya and I took off again, this time on a shorter trip ... to visit Tamarak and Carlos who were having a family dinner with lots of chicken in Diablo sauce. Mandara borrowed a bike and rode home after dinner and we drove Jesse home and ate chocolate popsicles. Jesse is in love ... she has bought herself a pocket pet called Starr... a mix between a miniature dachshund and a Boston terrier. Perhaps Starr will help Kenya overcome her fear of tiny dogs. After walking the dogs we all headed off to bed. Once again, Kenya and I snuck out like thieves very early this morning.

When I got to Wakefield I realized that it was a holiday weekend and I would not be able to buy the last two colours of paint for the new palette I have decided on. I have chosen a dark gold, a bright brick red, a very dark purple and a bright turquoise. I am looking forward to discovering what images those colours will inspire.

Today I plan to prepare some more pieces for painting.

Tamarak and I are thinking of having an open house in August as a way to display T's paintings and my happy furniture. We are inviting a potter to join us so that she can show her newest venture. She works with home owners to create unique tiled areas. She is surrounding my bath tub with hilly landscape (the Gatineau Hills) done in terracotta with some blue-green glazing. Maybe Tamarak can sell some pieces and Carrie and I can get some people interested in commissioning us.

How come this is a holiday weekend? It isn't May 24th and it isn't warm enough to start planting!

My daughter's meeting with the oncologist went well and she was able to put some of her worst fears to rest. Thanks to all of you who sent good thoughts and white light. She's not out of the woods yet so please continue to think of her.

1 comment:

Barbara Carlson said...

Yeh, re the 24th!!! what the...?
As usual, we had to bring in all our potted plants from the balcony due to the frost warning, but they were wilting from the wretched cold yesterday AM.

John was out painting yesterday and came home early & FROZEN...the first complaint I have heard from him, even in winter he says it wasn't THIS cold -- it must be the dampness.

His companionably (if flighty) local red squirrel (Perky Pants) took a peanut placed on his big boot today, with me sitting a foot away. I was thrilled and flattered to be so trusted. I am only rarely there.

Good news about your daughter!