Wednesday 21 July 2010

Life Passes By

Noticed  in Passing ...
July 21, 2010

... a beautiful small dead fox on the highway ...  shiny coat, luxuriant tail that with each passing day changes into remnants of itself ... greyed ... scruffy ... hanks of hair and ... but after three days the tail is still vibrant ...

... a large group of playful Mergansers who splashed one another ... chortled ... and walked on water ... well ...  really more like stomped on water ...

... two tomato plants that have grown to tree size and are dripping with green fruit ...  two grape tomatoes  beginning to turn red ... I have them supported from all angles now ... the box has become a jungle  with 1 cucumber, 1 arugula, 1 nasturtium and 2 tomatoes.  The little guys are all hiding (lettuce, carrots and onions)








... grass I cut before I went to Montreal now a meadow ... with far too much strangling vine that seems to have choked out the clover I planted ...

... a wild abundance of black-eyed susans, those lovely lavender bells, golden rod and orange day lilies ...  and almost ready to bloom ... the ones I call Golden Glow ... tall plants that grow in hedges producing masses of chrysanthemum like flowers.

... friends working on the main floor of their new home ... strong and bronzed and happy against a magnificent blue sky ...

... another friend swimming peacefully, as she followed three red headed ducks ... apparently unafraid of their toxicity ...

... an artist of 60 years who wanted me to place the first brush stroke on the tray she was painting ... at 84 she is strong and vibrant and able to throw herself off mountains and hurtle down slopes ... but her confidence sags when she tries something new ... I love the fact that she will leave us after this week with more confidence than she had when she arrived.  I suspect that she has had to build each level of confidence one step at a time just as she has as she learns to paint funky furniture.

... and when I said I would pay for lunch she was shocked ... insisted on paying because I am the teacher ...

... a large bearlike dog who is terrified of thunderstorms ...

,,, the rumble of rockslides across the lake ...  


Photos will follow ...

5 comments:

Barbara Carlson said...

A-BUN-DANCE!!
Ha! Not a Bun dance..I was trying to emphasize the BOUNTY! of it all...
I am grateful to be alive, to read about your life and Kenya's and have, hopefully, one more day to attend this miracle of life.
Sappy, but true.

Oma said...

I sure hope you have more than one more day!

Love the idea of a bun dance ... now that is something you could do in my zany zen garden because it is so private!

kingmisha said...

Beautiful, evocative writing.

Oma said...

Thank you, kingmisha ...

Barbara Carlson said...

I say "one more day" cause it concentrates the mind to pay attention here and now to the one life I have.
(My parents are both 91, by the way, but still...)