Monday 4 April 2011

"When will spring come?" she whined.

Still no spring up here ...

Saturday was balmy. Sunday morning the ridges in the muddy road were rigid and the puddles solid. Sunday afternoon was lovely, and this morning everything is solidly frozen again.  I have switched my ice walkers from my winter boots to my rain wellies.

The deer carcass was finally picked up by the township and now just a few feathery wisps of downy undercoat mark the spot.  Tomorrow's rain should wipe away all remaining smell and Kenya can be let off-leash on our walks again.

Yesterday we followed the deep hard indentations of perfectly preserved raccoon tracks as we walked along the road on the other side of the lake. Tomorrow's rain will obliterate them and turn the roads to sludge.  I may be forced to park further away from my house once that happens.  I usually have to for a few days each year.

The staircase is still an on-going project and its accompanying mess and clutter is beginning to get to me.  It didn't help that Kenya added to the mess when I gave her a new jungle baby to play with.  She loved it, talked to it  and squeezed it till the temptation to find the squeaker was just too much to resist.  Then she decapitated it.  This was followed by disembowelment, and then attempts to unbraid the body.  I came downstairs to discover clouds of white fluff and bits of pelt, ears, nose, eyes and extremities scattered all over the livingroom..  It cost about $4 but provided hours of entertainment.  For both of us.  I get a kick out of watching Kenya interact with a squeaky toy ... almost as much as when she treats animals on a screen as if they are real. 


Watched The Black Swan on the weekend.  What a good portrayal of insanity and grace.  No dogs in that movie.  Kenya slept.

Kenya will be very glad when spring really arrives, the lake opens up completely, we can walk more comfortably, and she can work off her energy getting fit rather than getting into trouble.  We both will.

In other news I am still sitting on the horns of a dilemma regarding my car ... and spending far too much time trying to make a decision.

And ... I received the results of the biopsy.  All clear ... just an age spot. Hmmph ... and Hooray!

Tonight we are celebrating (belatedly) Tammy's birthday by going to a tapas place we love downtown. 

Other than that, nothing new ... still cooking (tried ground turkey in a meat loaf yesterday ... too wet ... I found it off-putting ... but it tasted fine) ... still teaching (we are still playing doctor) ... Except for a strong desire for winter to end, life is good.

Hope you have a great week.

1 comment:

Barbara Carlson said...

Good to walk with you, watch Kenya play, worry about the car decision & make meatloaf...I look in on your post first thing in the AM to see what you are up to.
Makes my little life bigger.

So, I made burritos (!) After the meatloaf incident of following your good recipe, I was emboldened. I used half the recommended amount of refried beans in a recipe I found on line and substituted thick taco sauce for enchilada sauce and no cumin (what it that?) or chili powder (used taco-mix powder) -- otherwise, I followed it to the letter...

They are great! I made six and froze them. I pan-heated them which made the tortilla slightlly crunchy
in spots (where it touched the unbuttered skillet).
Excellent! Will make them again.