Saturday 31 May 2008

It's all a numbers game ...

On June 3 I will be 68 years old.

Imagine! I never thought I would live past 57, the age when my mother's second heart attack killed her. I feel as if I have been granted an extra 11 years of happiness. It has also been 11 years since I retired.

Who knows? Maybe I will be really lucky and live till I am 86 as my dad did. He too retired at 57 and had almost 30 years of retirement.

Marta is coming for a barbecue and Tammy is going to try to join us ... and I will invite Sarah as well. Are there any other women who would like to join us? Susan? Erin? Our ages will span 5 decades.

I used to think of 68 as very very old ... almost 70 ... and that was ancient ... but once you get there you discover as you did when you were 30 (or 40 or 50 or 60) that you are still young; that the woman inside the sagging body still has a life. Things fall apart as the African writer, Chinua Achebe, says, but life continues, and with it, hope and opportunities for happiness.

No comments: