Thursday 29 May 2008

Our Health Care System: Riddled with Disease

Yesterday I received a phone call that would have brought happiness to most people, but it caused me considerable anxiety. And, as a Canadian, neither response should have been appropriate.

The call was from the Wakefield Medical Centre. They had a new general practitioner who was accepting patients.

Yes I want a doctor 15 minutes from home. I find it very difficult if I am unwell to get to my doctor in Cumberland who is 1 ½ hours away, especially in bad weather. And she is very busy so there is always a wait and I feel a little rushed once I actually get in to see her.

BUT

... and yes, it is a big but ...

I am afraid of the two large local hospitals to which a Quebec doctor would refer me.

My experience with both the Gatineau and Hull hospitals has made me fearful of them.

The orthopaedic surgeon who was incompetent and coldly uncaring, and the technician who was rough and incompetent are NOT balanced by the Gatineau obstetrian who saved Sam's life during Kerry's last delivery or by the anaesthetist at the Hull Hospital who was so kind I'd have married him if he'd asked.

Health care should not be a balancing act for patients.

Canadians should be assured of competent care at any hospital in Canada. Canadians should be able to expect that they can have access to a family doctor. Those are the two basic planks on which universal health care should rest.

The woman who called me sympathised. She recognized that my fears were justified and suggested that I continue with my Cumberland doctor until the health problems that are being investigated are resolved.

The Canadian health care system is liable to crumble.

People cannot find family doctors.
Hospitals are under-staffed.
Cancer tests are being handled incompetently.
Forensic pathologists are careless and incompetent.
C Difficile is rampant and has been covered up.

It is not just the Outaouais.

Health care is a provincial concern but it is a Canadian problem.

2 comments:

Cat said...

I have been without a doctor for three years now - am in midlife with grave's disease and osteoporosis, but have to use a walk in clinic in Ontario - I was so relieved to read this today! Problems or no, ANY doctor right now is a gift of grace for me. I just wandered on here from Erin's blog - it's Cat Lane in Rupert - and I am so thankful to read about this.
And it's always good to meet a fellow dog-loving hermit.
Cat
http://mydarlinglila.blogspot.com/

Oma said...

Dear Cat,

The new doctor at the clinic is Vanessa Cardy. I was on a waiting list so you may have to go on one too, but good luck.