Friday 16 May 2008

A noisy night on Pike Lake ...

The nights here are generally peaceful but far from quiet.

Last night at 2 a.m. at least two loons were very agitated. There was a familiar wail and then an 11 note response and then the tremolo which usually means the nest is in peril. One call followed another and then they began a concert of one call overlaid on another. There was nothing harmonious about this three part performance, and I found myself responding anxiously to their anxiety.

They are at it again this morning. One loon just flew in to the lake and another began the 11 note call (duh, duh, da, da, duh ... etc. ... not great music ... a very repetitive rhythm that reminds me of someone calling a child or a dog home over and over again.)

When they finally quit last night, the whipporwill began its insistent and incessantly repetitive call. I find I have to stop listening to it in order to be able to ignore it. That's hard to do when it is annoying you. More than once I have wished for a gun.

This morning the songbirds began their day before 5 a.m. and so began my day after little sleep!

No comments: