Friday 9 May 2008

A little of this and a little of that ...

After three days of trying, I finally managed to change the heading on this blog. I was inspired by my luck with the travel blog, but the damned dial-up was not very co-operative.

Yesterday was my last day walking Remi. His mom is pregnant and cannot be around small children because she has never developed an immunity to Fifth Disease which can cause miscarriages. I had never heard about this disease before and was surprised that the Quebec government is so vigilant with its pregnant teachers that it whips them out of the classroom on full pay as soon as they test positive for pregnancy and negative for the virus. I am delighted that she is pregnant, and of course we won't have a chance to miss Remi because we can still see him every day, so it is good, but it is a little sad that she didn't even have a chance to say good bye to her kindergarten kids.

I hope today is a brighter day. I am finding that my mood is affected by the colour of the sky, and the presence of the sun.

One way or the other, now that I am free of my commitments at noon, Kenya and I may visit Lanark to pick up my printer cartridge ... and see Rob, Scott, and Charlie. I also need to pick up a few odd things at the grocery store.

Rowboat Flo and I moved the tree that was blocking the road. What a sight! Two old women wielding a nylon dog leash and a hand saw to muscle a thirty foot tree off the road. We are pretty damn tough, so we are!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the look of the blog now.. nice picture.

Kerry said...

Oh I'm so happy for her!!! How sad that she didn't even get to say goodbye to her kids - that is going to be REALLY traumatic for them!

Erin Kuhns said...

Quebec is only concerned about pregnant teachers and fifth disease to cover their butts...No one very mentioned a thing when I was substitute teaching while I was pregnant. That's because I wasn't a permanent teacher. Makes no difference to them then.

Fortunately, all was ok. Just interesting that it's only a concern with permanent teachers...