Sunday 4 May 2008

Thank you!!!

Our work party accomplished a minor miracle!

When Carlos, Tammy, Mandara, Mark, Teddy and Shea arrived in their van, Carlos re-attached my clothesline.


Then Sarah, Dan and Remi arrived by canoe and we began work on the side yard.

We all cleared the debris and then attacked the load of topsoil that had been settling all winter. We broke it up with pitchforks, rakes and shovels.

The men spread it over the entire area, and we fenced it with chicken wire.


Then Sarah seeded it with clover (with advice from everyone) and Dan (who has farmer genes) raked the seed into the soil.

It looked beautiful. The dogs thought so too.

After appetizers, Dan became the barbecue chef and we ate and drank till we were ready to sleep! (especially Mandara, Mark and Sarah)


Thank you Carlos and Tammy, Dan and Sarah, and Mark and Mandara who did the bulk of the lifting and carrying.

My main role was confined to supervising and screeching at the wet dogs who got into the black earth. Tammy says I need to get into town more so that I can stop sounding like a deranged banshee of a woman.

And thank you to Pat and Julie, Ralph and Paula, Marta and Erin who wanted to come but couldn't because of prior commitments, illness or the surprise arrival of guests. Next time!

Tammy took photos of the work in progress which I will post when she sends them to me. I managed to get the later photos. I hope Tammy managed to get at least one of Remi the two- toned puppy. Kenya got just as dirty but she doesn't show the dirt the way he does.

1 comment:

Erin Kuhns said...

Oh, it sounds like the day was a total success!!

I'm so glad you all had such a good (and productive) day! I really am sorry I couldn't make it. I didn't make it to anything I'd wanted to do yesterday, but it's all good, since it seems I needed to do very little this weekend. It was an absolute necessity to recharge my batteries. And I knew you'd understand. Thank you so much!

I do hope to make it over for tea before you take off. Let's talk.

Cheers!
Erin