Friday 4 September 2009

First Cheque

I just received my very first cheque for my folk art chairs and my hand knit socks. I have spent about $2500 getting ready for this ... books, brushes, paint, cleaners, furniture and yarn ... OMG ... the price of yarn! And the temptation of it.

I have learned NOT to buy too many new books and patterns. I only purchase what is necessary for the painting, but I have gone way overboard on the patterns and yarn.

I have placed in the shop, Marche des Artisans: UPDATED LIST

4 normal sized chairs
2 children's rocking chairs
1 child's straight backed chair
1 doll crib
several pairs of children's socks
2 pairs of adult socks
FORGOT THE TWO CAROUSELS, THE APPLE BOWL, AND THE QUILT PATTERNED BOX ... LIKELY ADDS UP TO ANOTHER WEEK OR SO OF PAINTING.

That is about 7 weeks of painting and 160 hours of knitting.

I have sold 1 adult-sized chair, 2 children's rockers, and 1 pair of adult sized socks.

My cheque was for $234.25. Maybe 80 hours of work? About $3 an hour. But of course I also worked on all those that did not sell!

But then I think ... I was enjoying myself. At least most of the time. Sometimes I was just challenging myself. But that also reaped benefits. And ... if I compare it to some other non- saleable hobbies like reading or writing or watching good films where I spend money and never retrieve any of it ... I've done pretty well this month, haven't I?

Right now I have two new projects underway ... the periwinkle cradle that I have a good idea for ... and the little bedside table I primed this morning ... not sure whether to put the black hinges etc. back on or start fresh with something else. The black limits my colour choices and the style ... on the other hand those black bits of metal create a different kind of challenge.

Lita Belle's mom loved the new chair ... better than the frog pond chair!

And now I am going back out to visit Claire ... last trip I had to take Corey with me because he was too afraid to stay with the other dogs. And it was too warm today to leave him in a car. In seven years he has never been babysat by anyone!

3 comments:

Barbara Carlson said...

Three dollars is quite good, actually. Well done!
The initial outlay is the worst -- it's like buying a house; the ratio of principle to interest decreases with with each year.

Re hinges -- if you like them, keep them. Work with them. Try black and white (stripes?) plus one colour perhaps??

Oma said...

I will think about that suggestion ... hmmm ... zebras come to mind ...

Oma said...

I will think about that suggestion ... hmmm ... zebras come to mind ...