Saturday 31 January 2009

Procrastination Produces Non-Recipes

Every time I think I should deal with the spacing problem of Explosion on the Writing Blog, I find a way to avoid the drudgery. One of my ploys has been to organize all my loose recipes from every possible source into some semblance of order in binders.

I made a discovery as I worked assiduously on avoiding the spacing chore ... that I could create a really simple cookbook that would replace all those recipes; all those cookbooks for which I bought a shelving unit. Of course I won't get rid of them because I love savouring recipes in much the same way I drool lasciviously over wool.

However; it will make life easier when I have only a dozen non-recipes to work with especially when there is a power outage. Here is what I produced this morning instead of fixing the spacing.


CHICKEN BASICS

WHOLE CHICKEN OR PARTS
browned in

OIL/BUTTER
with
ONIONS, LEEKS OR SHALLOTS
+
GARLIC
+
VEGGIES

seasoned with

HERBS OR SPICES
+
simmered either on stove top or in oven at 350 degrees in

FLUID

served with

POTATOES, RICE, BARLEY OR PASTA
cooked separately or added ½ hour before the end of the cooking time



SOME CHOICES
USED ALONE OR IN COMBINATION

VEGGIES: CARROTS, OTHER ROOT VEGETABLES, CELERY, MUSHROOMS

SEASONINGS: THYME, ROSEMARY, HERBES DE PROVENCE, PARSLEY, BAY LEAVES, VANILLA + ROSEMARY, LEMON JUICE, ITALIAN HERBS, MAPLE SYRUP , COMBO OF CINNAMON, CUMIN, CORIANDER, PAPRIKA

RUBS OF GINGER + DRY MUSTARD OR ..... APPLIED BEFORE BROWNING

FLUIDS: CHICKEN BROTH, WHITE WINE, CANNED TOMATOES, CREAM SOUPS, APPLE CIDER

LEFTOVERS? MAKE SOUP OR A KIND OF SHEPHERD'S PIE COVERED IN MASHED POTATOES


I will do the others over time and will share them too.


No comments: