Wednesday 7 January 2009

Winter Fingers

I have just finished washing, rinsing and packing 60 Bordeaux type bottle for Monday's trip to DeFalco's and my winter fingers are crying in pain ... and weeping blood red tears.

I want to do some knitting and felting but they hurt even when I type, so I am a little afraid of anything involving sharp objects.

I have been lathering them with Vaseline and Udderly Smooth and using rubber gloves when they are near water, mittens outside, and cotton socks to bed. These methods have made me very clumsy, but have not produced the desired results.

What do you do for dry thin skin that is prone to breakage in winter?

7 comments:

Kerry said...

bag balm - the heavy duty sister of udderly smooth.

Oma said...

Thanks again, dear.

Anonymous said...

Rob can predict frost with his hands...they start to crack and bleed a few hours before a frost.

Anonymous said...

I'd do a paraffin dip. How's your eye?

Oma said...

Thanks for dropping by ... is the paraffin dip easy to do? ... what does Rob do for his cracked bleeding fingers? I am still on the prednisone and just finished the course of antibiotics so the eye is not acting up right now but I see another ophthalmologist this afternoon at the Eye Institute.

Anonymous said...

Rob just moisturizes like crazy...his favorite these days seems to be a Crabtree and Evelyn hand cream that I bought him. Not a lot he can do...it's a good thing that he doesn't farm anymore or it would be worse.

Oma said...

I think I am going to try lots of creams including one I picked up at the hospital today in their colostomy supplies and such shop along with wearing the white cotton gloves I also found there. I will wear them over the cream and under rubber gloves and woollen mitts.

I thik the main trick is to keep my hands as dry as possible and as moisturized as possible.