Thursday 14 February 2008

Hermits do not make good public speakers ...

Layla has asked me to speak at the dinner celebrating their official status as an NGO raising money for the Daisy Centre in Kakamega. I am terrified. I am not sure I am still capable of speaking in public. This life of the hermit really does cause the voice box to rust from disuse. Living with dogs has changed my communication style. I have a smaller vocabulary, use shorter sentences, and bark out orders or communicate non-verbally rather than holding intelligent conversations. The very thought of agreeing to speak freezes my vocal cords.

I wish I could just show the faces of the children and field questions, tell the story of why I chose Daisy for Layla's group.

I could use their photos as they use their crutches.

Most of the photos remind me of the happiness I saw at Daisy.

Moses reminds of how caring the staff is, and of how important every donation is.

No comments: