Monday 18 February 2008

Pretty Woman

Last night I curled up on the couch with Kenya and watched Pretty Woman. I wonder if we ever outgrow our need for fairy tales.

At one point Vivian asks her friend whether anyone ever escapes from prostitution; if Prince Charming ever does rescue them. Kit can think of one instance. I was reminded of my conversation with Mandy, the Mayfair Madam I met in October.

She said almost all of her "girls" were waiting for Mr. Right, expecting him to arrive at the gentlemen's club she runs, spend a few nights with them, fall madly in love, and sweep them off to the altar. Like Vivian they wanted more than a nice condo; they wanted the whole thing.

Mandy no longer had stars in her eyes; she saw very clearly that that they were living in some kind of dream world; that it would never happen, and I knew she was right.

But you know, I wanted desperately for it to happen for Vivian.

1 comment:

Kerry said...

I've never been able to watch that movie because the premise makes me so sad and mad at the same time.