Wednesday 6 February 2008

Random thoughts on settling in to watch re-runs

My horoscope for this week read: "I've got some of the strangest good news you've ever heard. Ready to open your mind to the odd opportunities? Get this: 1. Your wild speculations could serve you better than your educated guesses. 2. Your experimental urges might be smarter than your cautious plans. 3. Your "stumbles" may lead you to brilliant detours. 4. You just may be able to create lucky breaks out of apparent mistakes."

Usually when I read Rob Breszny's horoscopes I am delighted. Today my reaction was: "Duh. I knew that. I've known it for a very long time. In fact, that is how I've always led my life ... responding to instinct and flashes of insight ... always up for the next adventure, the next glimpse of excitement around a corner. My life has been a conglomeration of adventures and misadventures based on taking chances and not considering the consequences".

It saddened me that I reacted like a jaded old woman. Ho hum. I've heard it all before.

But it also saddened me that I don't seem to be following my instinct for adventure these days. I seem to have settled into my hermitage up here on the lake, content with the dogs.

I used to be like my daughter Susan ... able to find the unusual in the mundane. I loved taking my journal to restaurants and bus stations. I was never bored because the everyday life of ordinary people fascinated me.

Maybe I need to start learning really new things ... to surround myself with people who are unpredictable ... go to places where I have to think on my feet the whole time ... places that make me uncomfortable.

But, you know, I like waking up here and knowing this is home; that it is safe; that it is predictable.

Maybe people decide it is time to die when they haven't heard anything new for a very long time; when they think they've heard it all and life is just a series of re-runs.

And maybe that's why memory fails ... so that you can enjoy the re-runs.

No comments: