Monday 11 February 2008

A Sunday's Plans Gone Awry

I intended to drive to town this morning to attend a service at the Unitarian Universalist Congregation (UUC) with Tammy and Carlos. I got up at five in the darkness and assumed that the plan would go ahead. As soon as it was light I would clean off the car, exercise Kenya, have breakfast, shower and we would be off.

At 7 we were out the door, but it became immediately apparent that a great deal of snow had fallen last night. I trudged up the hill. Kenya bounded through the drifts like a boat encountering waves. The car was completely covered, and needed to be shoveled out. The hill down to Pike Lake Road was covered in soft snow again. I did the brushing, scraping and shoveling, and dragged the shovel back to the steps above the house.

By the time I had shoveled all 39 steps, wet strands of sweat soaked hair hung down in front of my face, I was tired, and it was twenty past eight. I had ten minutes to shower, have breakfast, dress and head up that hill again, and all I wanted to do was crash. I also questioned whether I would be able to get back up the hill before it was plowed or packed down by 4WD vehicles.

So much for good intentions.

Instead I fixed the little postman. He no longer has a head. I wrote. I vaccuumed the entire house. I discovered another leak in the roof that was destroying the wall board in the closet above the woodstove. I mopped and broke through paint in two places to let water out. I read the papers. I listened to CBC. I tidied a few cupboards.

And then I wrote my secret letter to Arrow.



I write these letters to Arrow because I love her, and I want her to WANT to read. She finds it hard to focus on school tasks in spite of being a very bright little girl. She can learn anything if it relates to nature and the outdoors, or if it involves actually DOING something physical.

I tucked the letter into a package containing a pair of binoculars for bird watching. The last letter was in a package held together with duct tape and so unwieldy that I wrote a note of apology to the postal workers who had to deal with it. I was afraid they might think it was something for the garbage. It contained two wasps' nests we had discovered between the walls when we were demolishing the old cottage.

I took this photo in the fall of 2006 when Arrow helped me look after the chickens, cats, dogs and horses at a hobby farm while the owners were away. She had no trouble learning how to do everything necessary to be a real helpmate.

2 comments:

Tamarak said...

It is too bad you couldn't make it in yesterday (even if it meant I got to go back to sleep as Carlos was too busy with work and school right now to go either and I wasn't going to go alone!).
We hardly see you anymore!!!
You are "hermiting" out in the woods and we are too busy here in town!
I voted...I find it funny that you can then go back and change your vote! That seems an odd thing!!!
My first thought was...why do I have to choose? I like them all...so that is why I voted for your life generally, because that encompasses it all!
Tammy

Kerry said...

I took several days to vote too because I like them all, and when you start blogging you shouldn't worry about your audience - they'll influence it soon enough - find your blog voice first.

It sounds like you had a nice nesty day. My day today was too wonderfully full to find time to blog - maybe tomorrow! I adore this pic of A and the horse. I might grab it and crop it to put on my blog!