Tuesday 26 February 2008

Will My Life Ever Be Free of Havoc?

As you know if you read my post around Valentine's Day, Havoc's arrival stretched out from February 13 to late afternoon February 15, during which time I made countless calls to the woman looking after him and NOT delivering him, and almost as many to Leonard who plows my road so that she could.

His owner was supposed to pick him up yesterday morning so as soon as I got up, I opened the windows to air out the bedroom which becomes really fuggy in winter when more than one dog sleeps there, and stripped the bed so that I could wash my duvet cover. (Havoc drools in his sleep.) I would wait till he was actually out the door before vaccuuming throughout and washing floors.

Well by eleven I was making phone calls again ... to the owner's defunct cell phone ... and to her friend's home phone.

I snuck out at noon to pick up groceries in Wakefield and collected Remi on the way home so that I wouldn't miss her. I couldn't take Kenya with me because Havoc would wreak havoc on the house without her to keep him under control.

The three dogs played for an hour and then we walked Remi back across the ice. On three occasions Havoc managed to hurl his 70 pound body at me with the speed of a racing car. Once I was able to move sideways; twice I was knocked flying. Kenya sometimes carries a sharp many branched stick and wards him off with it. I was wishing I had a similar shield. Instead I used my outstretched arms and fiercest voice and roared "STAY DOWN!" whenever he approached.

I also fell off the narrow bridge leading to Remi's a couple of times when he insisted on sharing the 12-18 inches with me. Fortunately the water was almost completely frozen and the day was mild.

Oh well, I thought philosophically, he will soon be on his way home.

At four the friend finally returned my calls. The owner was delayed. The friend had heard yesterday but forgot to let me know. Havoc's owner would be back late on Tuesday.

I rather doubt whether I will see this woman tonight, and we are getting more snow, so heaven alone knows how much longer I will be living with Havoc. I do hope he has gone well before we meet Lulu, the cockadoodle, on Saturday.

My life may be overly full of Havoc just now, but he's a dog. The havoc caused by human communication failures and lack of consideration is far more annoying than he is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me know how LULU is...I love cockadoodles. They are the new choice for seeing-eye-dogs.

Oma said...

What's wrong with your eyes???