Monday 18 February 2008

The Passion of Christ

This is probably the most violent movie I have ever seen. The torture scenes are horrific. Only someone who has lost all fellow feeling could possibly become a torturer. These torturers take delight in what they do. I doubt if I could watch it a second time.

I watched it this time hoping to catch glimpses of the Via Dolorosa where I stayed in a convent when I was in Jerusalem, but the focus stayed on the cruelty and I didn't see anything I recognized.

That convent was an oasis of peace and sanity in a violent city when I was there.

I understood the violence better after seeing this movie.

1 comment:

Kerry said...

Mom I dreamt last night that I was supposed to watch this film, and I've avoided it because of the violence, but before I do how is Judas treated in it? Is he treated with compassion in the story? As you know I do think that Christ *did* return in the form of Baha'u'llah, and that Judas' role was preordained and a huge act of love and sacrifice.