Friday 1 February 2008

Ragamuffins Take 4












I love two ragamuffins, Max, my second youngest grandson, and Remi, the seven month old Golden Doodle across the lake with whom Kenya and I play every day. Max and Remi have a great deal in common besides their untidy appearances. They are both truly gentle souls even when they are putting up big boy fronts, and both are beautiful under the the mud and mess.

Yesterday I took Kenya and Havoc, our ten month Doberman houseguest, over to play with Remi. The contrast between the two puppies is striking. Remi bounces; Havoc struts. Remi is covered in tangled unkempt apricot curls and resembles a rag mop. Havoc is elegantly muscular, every sinew and tendon evident under the tight skin. Even his ears are crisp. Remi is floppy, a rag doll, so completely covered in curls that it is impossible to imagine his body structure. Havoc was wearing a red collar and coat that contrasted with his shiny black pelt that didn't provide enough warmth on this winter day. When Remi meets new people he leaps up on them enthusiastically. Havoc stiffens, assumes and intimidating posture and growls menacingly. He waits for a proper introduction before letting down his guard.

Remi's toys are just like him. He has a grubby yellow stuffed duck, a rubber chicken, and an old sock stiff with ice. Havoc owns a black Kong that reminds me of black jacks and lugers.

At Remi's house Havoc played with Remi's toys. There was something ridiculously incongruous about an elegant Doberman waving a dirty yellow ducky in Remi's face to get him to chase him, and when, dressed in all his finery, he began to prance about with the stiff old sock in his mouth, I laughed out loud and wished I had the camera with me.

Kenya left them alone to wrestle and dash about, intervening only when their exuberance bordered on the aggressive. She behaves like a mother with these puppies, and like human mothers, loses patience when they wear her out.

She takes all her mothering duties very seriously as you can see from the last photo.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that bath picture!

(Oh! And good work on changing your settings to make it easier for people to leave comments.)

Anonymous said...

I'm loving reading your blog! Great pictures, too! Please keep it up and I'll keep reading!

Anonymous said...

I was very interested in learning of your childhood. I knew you had gone to boarding school but not your life prior to that. Your pics are great and can see why you call your house your "home".

As you talk of your dogs and g'kids, I can hear your laughter through your words.

Love the project you are into. Will keep looking for progress reports on all your activities. Hope all the kids are well. Luv Nan

Anonymous said...

Barb:

You are the best dog women I know :>D

Your description of the "Ragamuffins" is hilarious, love it.

Thanks for being my Oma on the lake and a surrogate mother to Remi.

Sarah

Kerry said...

You know how they say people end up looking like their dogs? I think we need to get Max a golden doodle mix! I can't believe how much they look alike!

Anonymous said...

I agree 100% on the dog comment Mud Mama. If another dog is in our future, Remi's breed would be one that I looked for. However, that said - Remi looks like he'd need a lot of grooming. Something I wouldn't want to take on at this time.

TechWood

Oma said...

Lots of grooming and expensive grooming as well ... he needs clipping now just to get the comb through the matts. He also needs tons of strenuous exercise.
I am thinking my next dog will be the same mix but with a smaller poodle not with a standard ... or a labradoodle. I met my newest client yesterday ... a three month old labradoodle who won't grow beyond 30 pounds. VERY sweet as well.