Friday 28 March 2008

Alarm Bells

My house requires adaptations of lifestyle that take some getting used to. Some also require that you live alone or with people you know very well.

For example, the holding tank has to be pumped when full at a cost of about $400 for a 1500 gallon tank. Each flush puts 1 1/2 gallons in the tank. That means you can flush the toilets 1000 times before you need to have it pumped. It costs about 40 cents a flush.

Because the OOPS truck can't get in here in winter, I had to get a second tank installed. When the first tank is 2/3 full, an alarm goes off, and then you flip a switch so that the contents of the first tank are pumped up to the second tank. That means that I can get 3000 gallons or 2000 flushes pumped for about $700. (That reduces the cost per flush to 35 cents a flush ... but the installation of the second tank cost $7000 so the net gain is really a net loss.

By flushing as little as humanly possible without resorting to using an outdoor privy I have managed to fill the first tank in just under seven months. The first time I filled the 1500 gallon tank in five months so I think this is pretty impressive.

For the past two months I have been waiting for the alarm to sound. It finally did so last night ... at 11:00 p.m. ... just as I was about to fall into bed.

I went downstairs, turned off the noise that was driving Kenya nuts, flipped the switch and waited for half an hour till the pump had done its job.

Then I went to bed with visions of alarm bells, holding tanks, dollar signs, and honey wagons in my head.

Thank heavens I didn't dream of them. Instead the dream fairy brought me these dreams about a birthday party and a return to the classroom.


The Centarian's Birthday ...

snoozing and snoring
snorting and sneezing
smooching and schmoozing
salivating and smacking lips
but mostly snoozing and snoring


Teaching Grade Six ...

"Grade 6 students need positive self images," Kerry pronounced.

I ended up trying to teach them their times tables by giving them teddy bears to help them remember as they drilled themselves and each other. My classroom's every surface, corner and secret hideaway spot was occupied by a teddy bear with a name tag on its foot. The kids went to these places alone or with a friend whenever they had a spare moment. There they memorized by rote, or did additions aloud, on paper, or in sand with the teddy bear as a mute encouraging mentor.


Certainly more pleasant than dreams of septic systems!

3 comments:

Kerry said...

OMG mom I had a dream about you last night and it isn't fit for my blog - children read it - but it involved you and Zoom so I'm posting it here.

It all started when you called and asked me to come right over with a cat o' 9 tails whip and a dildo filled with crushed ice. Dutiful daughter that I am I ran to the ice maker. I met you at your house where you met me and Zoom at the door wearing a negligee and pencil drawn arched eyebrows. You intoduced us to Fritz a 20 something tin soldier boy with an Irish accent who was on hold with Hydro Quebec for you. I won't go into the lurid details but I woke up in a cold sweat after Zoom said "If she takes off the panties you're on your own, I'm outta here"

Oma said...

MM ... I laughed till I cried ... I dream about death, parties for 100 year olds and teddy bears ... and you giving me pedagogical advice ... and you dream S&M dreams for me. Even in my prime I didn't dream those dreams!

But thank you for running to the ice maker for me.

Now don't let Zoom think I really did this or she will never forgive me.

Anonymous said...

Ugh! I'm sorry Kerry, I feel bad for leaving you in the lurch like that but I had to go home and take a shower.