Thursday 6 March 2008

Lulu, Leaks and the Job Jar


Lulu arrived this morning. Kenya and I had to walk out to Pike Lake Road with the sled to meet her . Yesterday I couldn't get out without snowshoes, but Leonard cleared me a walking path last night. This time I was the one who fell on the ice walking back to the house. Kenya took all of a minute to recognize Lulu and her special needs and has been wonderful as Lulu settles in, exploring and sniffing everything, trying out all the beds.

Outside she bounced her way up all 39 steps in my wake and I felt a bit like Good King Wenceslas creating a path for her to follow.

We spent quite a bit of time in my den: me typing; Lulu and Kenya sleeping; the bathroom garbage container collecting the drips as the roof leaks, yet again. A happy little domestic scene.

Later we went out to collect the shovel and clear the steps. Lulu is an independent little soul and despite the difficulties she encounters, she loves the deep snow, and makes brand new paths through it. She becomes invisible when she is creating her labyrinths.

Still later we all curled up in my bedroom where I finished reading Remembering the Bones with Lulu stretched out beside me on the bed, and Kenya sprawled over her cushion on the floor, various body parts hanging over onto the wooden floor. The photo shows how little room Lulu takes on the same cushion. Her own cushion is 12" x 18".

The job jar sits in front of me at eye level. A few months ago I became very industrious and went all around the house looking for jobs that needed doing. It took me no time at all to fill my first job jar. Then I promptly forgot it.

The listing of tasks or the filling of a job jar should make me want to accomplish something, right? I don't know if I am the only person this happens to, but instead of making me get at things that need doing, it seems to clear the air of the need to do anything. And it assuages the guilt I feel when I am letting things go undone.

It may have something to do with the fact that the daily business of keeping the place clean, the snow shoveled, and the dogs exercised leaves me with little energy to spare, or it may be that problems like a leaking roof loom with far greater urgency than finishing hemming a curtain or taking a lampshade in for repair, or it may have something to do with the fact that I feel incapable of doing some of the jobs properly so don't want to begin. Painting is one of those things. I cannot paint above my head without wobbling so any place I have attempted to paint a wall meeting the ceiling is a mess. Also there is no point in painting until we solve the leakage problems.

Lulu is checking out the drip container now. I better quit and go do some more shoveling. We are supposed to get another 15 centimetres on Saturday. I have to get the car clear so that if Leonard ever finishes clearing and sanding the road I will be able to drive out of here.

3 comments:

Kerry said...

Yeah, don't forget that Sam and I arrive sunday! Its like spring here, most of our snow melted in the torrential rains here yesterday night.

Anonymous said...

Weather permitting...huge "final" storm coming your way

Danielle Bailey said...

The dripping part and leaks are definitely a familiar scene. I think every homeowner has their share of roof leaks at one point. Good thing “Lulu” doesn’t mind the leak and the dripping at all. But for a house owner, roof leaks should not be ignored.