Thursday 27 March 2008

Dream a little dream of me ...

I keep on dreaming ... and remembering the dreams.

I am fascinated by this phenomenon because I have always been interested on a superficial level by Jung's and Northrop Frye's archetypes which emerge and recur in dreams and literature.

All my recent dreams, according to the dream interpreters seem to be about moving forward in life ... taking a new direction ... facing the future with optimism.

First there was the dream in which I died which signified I was getting ready for a radically new direction in life.

Then a couple of nights ago, I dreamed about traveling in Mongolia with people who had nothing in common with me and didn't approve of me ... and I moved without them through the rain toward my goal of finding Mongolians.

Travel is a common dream theme, the journey representing life. The interpreters suggest you look at your companions, your destinations, and the difficulties involved in reaching your goals metaphorically.

Just last night I dreamed that Sarah and Dan had had their baby. He was now a toddler who reminded me of Remi. He climbed up on my bed and then got into everything and had to be watched all the time so that he wouldn't hurt himself. He had a penchant for electrical plugs.

"Babies tend to link with new circumstances and new feelings. They symbolise some fresh new mood of optimism. They can represent a new project or opportunity. They may simply represent something that is 'new' in your life."

A boy baby is also linked to "birth or emergence of a new phase of self expression in terms of activity or achievement."

The fact that this baby was curious and a risk taker might also mean that I am still at that level of development ... rather nice if it is true ... but perhaps also a warning.

Rachel Carson wrote in The Sense of Wonder: "If I had the influence with the good fairy who is supposed to preside over the christening of all children, I should ask that her gift to each child in the world be a sense of wonder so indestructible that it would last throughout life, an unfailing antidote against the boredom and disenchantment of later years, sterile preoccupations with things that are artificial, the alienation from the sources of our strength."

I think this gift may have come to me late, but better late than never at all.

No comments: