Thursday 12 June 2008

The Apology

There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly. -Buckminster Fuller

And there is even less in a nest of snapping turtle eggs. I saw several nests on my way home from Sarah's yesterday. The one closest to the smallish turtle resting on the dirt road was full of scattered shards of white shell. The others were covered in loose dirt. The turtle waggled her head and I continued on my way, thinking about the enormous turtle we had seen years ago at our shore. Out of fear our next door neighbour shot that venerable creature. It was over two feet in diameter. This descendant of hers was only the size of a man's palm. Thank heavens these turtles live in a lake whose environment is healthy and nurturing, and that most of their human neighbours value and protect them. Thank heavens that only one nest had been ravaged by a predator, likely a natural one.

Yesterday I watched Canada's apology to the first Nations, Inuit and Metis people. Thank heavens the Conservatives finally agreed to allow responses. It became what it should have been ... an historic beginning to a new era in the relations between the people wronged so long ago and the rest of Canada.

Sarah had asked me over. She wanted to judge the sincerity for herself. I am not sure anyone can judge sincerity based on prepared speeches, and my own feeling was that this was a political necessity and an opportunity for Harper and his party to look good. But I am glad he did it properly, because he was apologizing on behalf of all of us.

I was gladdened, impressed, surprised, interested, disappointed, and touched.

* glad to see Stephane Dion take responsibility on behalf of his party.

* impressed that Harper thanked Jack Layton for not giving up on him and pleasantly surprised when he admitted that Layton had pressed the matter every week for a year and a half.

* interested in the intelligence of the Bloc's apology but disappointed that it deteriorated into a political speech against the Conservatives.

* glad that Layton spoke specifically about the harm done to these survivors and to the generations that followed them, and about what must be done to remedy their situation. He was also the one who asked us to imagine a village in which there were no children between the ages of 6 and 16.

But it was the responses of the leaders of the peoples who suffered in those residential schools which touched my heart. Some spoke with humour. Many spoke extemporaneously. They all spoke from the heart. I guess for me it was the final speaker, the woman who represented the association of women, who spoke most directly to me.

She was a warm woman, and a wise one. She didn't harangue, but she made it very clear that seven generations of her people have been badly damaged by laws that tore apart the very fabric of her culture by destroying the traditional matriarchal system.

She spoke about how ripping children away from their mothers and their influence in those very important years and keeping them away from the women who carried within themselves the bond with the earth, had created young people who were lost.

And there were seven generations of these lost children, children who could not parent, children who could not know how to protect their own children from the same kinds of harm they had suffered.

And she didn't let our political leaders relax complacently now that the apologies had been given. She reminded them with a smile that this was only the beginning.

We never had a legitimate right to force assimilation on these people. We took advantage of our superior strength to commit that crime against them, and then we turned a blind eye to the other abuses that occurred within those residential school walls far from the protection of families.

Yesterday our political leaders said what needed to be said, and we Canadians were reminded that we have an obligation to protect and nurture children ... all children. Parenting and political stewardship are similar. Both are about nurturing, not about wielding power over other beings. They are about allowing caterpillars to become butterflies and leathery eggs to become turtles. They are about keeping the places in which they live healthy so that they can grow strong and beautiful.

3 comments:

Erin Kuhns said...

I will try not to get into it in too much detail, but I have to admit that I did not watch the apology...for a reason. I feel it was LONG overdue and that it was simply a formality. Perhaps I should have checked it out.

I married into a family that lived on a reserve in northern Ontario. I saw and heard things from their perspectives. It's NOT right, what happened; it DID cause harm...but so many people choose to stay victims of it and until they come out of "victim mode" NOTHING will change at all.

I may sound callice, but I say that knowing full well that I, too, stayed in "victim mode" for a long time--for other reasons. You cannot really LIVE until you take charge of your life, including all of the horrible things that were done to you and to your family and your loved ones.

It is absolutely necessary for the Canadian Government to publicly take ownership of what happened, but the only thing we all have is today; NOW. And the natives who were affected by this horrible injustice have to make decisions about how they will deal with their NOW.

Thank you,
Erin

Oma said...

I guess maybe I understand something about not knowing how to parent because I was not parented. I was put in a foster home and an institution rather than being parented by my mother and father, and my experience was one generation long, and was nowhere near as harsh as the residential school system.

This began 140 years ago, and generation after generation lost the ability to parent, and thought of themselves as second class citizens.

It will take a great deal of good solid support for them to normalize. And it has to come from their own people ... but they may need help to make it happen.

Kerry said...

what got me was the people speaking about not being allowed to say goodbye to their mothers and fathers, no hugs and kisses goodbye. At the train station no gerandmothers to pick them up with hugs and kisses hello, just the nuns. The utter incomprehension of it , so young, and so far beyond their level of reason... and I think of Wild Thing and 5 weeks away from me, and how we're trying to prepare him with the book the Kissing Hand and how much of a betrayal this 5 weeks seems to a 3 year old and I just die inside for GENERATIONS that this was done to!