Tuesday 3 June 2008

A Rainy Rainy Day ... Again

Kenya and I are toasting ourselves by the fire, and I am taking another day's reprieve from dealing with the problem that kept me awake a good bit of the night. I have a somewhat smelly dead raccoon lying in the old basement of the original cottage. He is between a big rock and a some cemented cinder blocks. I have been advised to bury him, but am trying to figure out the logistics of getting him from his almost final resting place to his final one. The dogs surprisingly have left him alone which makes me wonder what killed him. It also makes me a little nervous about dealing with his remains. The dogs have all been vaccinated against rabies but it has been years since I had the series of shots, and the last titre I had done was in 2002, just before I moved to Kenya for six months, when it was determined that I was still protected.


My birthday will go on all week. Marta, Tammy and Sarah are all coming to my pizza party this afternoon/evening. I am having lunch with Christina, a former student, at Chez Eric tomorrow, and on Thursday I am having dinner at my friend Roger's place. Then on the weekend, Remi is coming for a couple of days.

Dad's 100th birthday (and 68th Father's Day) on the 15th has unfortunately fizzled out.

I will go out for the mail and deliver some blackstrap molasses to Rowboat Flo around noon, and will read (an Anne Tyler novel called Morgan is Passing). I like her strange characters and the situations in which she places them.

I may also watch a movie.

The last one I watched was You've Got Mail which I watch a couple of times a year. I really am a romantic at heart I think, and I like that movie because they are humanly flawed people who really like one another. I like that they can open up to one another and discuss their deepest thoughts even before they meet in person. It is what internet dating should be but generally isn't.

So ... a book ... a movie ... a pizza party ... and a postponed burial. Not such a bad way to spend one's birthday!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday...love you.

Deb

Kerry said...

Happy Birthday mum!

love you,

Kerry

Erin Kuhns said...

Happy Happy Birthday, Barbara!! It sounds like you had a lovely day!!!

(And hey, I hear it's good luck to throw a rotting corpse in on your special day!)

~ Erin

Oma said...

Thanks to all of you. Except for the unwelcome birthday card from Revenue Canada it was a lovely day.