Friday 27 June 2008

Feeling Scattered

I will be glad to get on the road. I am feeling totally scattered just now, a bit like a horse pawing the earth as he waits for the starter's gun. I have things to do but many of them cannot be done till I am almost walking out the door. As a result I flit from one thing to another and don't do the things that keep me sane and fully human. I am always living in tomorrow, and today is like an angry bluebottle buzzing round, annoying me.

Yesterday I went to the June luncheon at my old school. It was an odd affair. The retired teachers outnumbered the active ones, and there were no Board personnel present. The school principal was forced to work at the Board all day , but he provided the wine and dropped in between interviews for a new VP and a reception for the retiring Personnel Director.

The teacher responsible for setting everything up forgot to do it. (No she wasn't one of the old ones who had lost her marbles; she was a young teacher.) As a result some older staff members, some retired people and a couple of members of the support staff hustled and got things together at the last minute. They felt it was important to honour the teacher who was retiring after spending most of her career at Philemon. I was glad I went, because it is important to show people that what they did for all those years matters to their colleagues. She was a teacher who gave more than she needed to give to earn her pay cheques. Most teachers I know do.

In the photo, Maxine, has a corsage stuffed into her cleavage, a bottle of white wine and a box of tissues beside her. She gave a good thank you speech ... some laughs ... some tears ... but also some strong words about what is happening to the education system. Apparently teachers are no longer permitted to evaluate students honestly. If a student hands in no work at all he get 35%. If his work is late it is no longer possible to penalize him. Her words were for those teachers still active, the ones who will need to stand up for their right to teach; the ones who will be responsible for teaching students not only the things they need to pass exams but also what they need to know about life. Nobody gets a free ride in life. When you do nothing, you get a zero for your efforts. If you are late it may well be too late ... and you will have to pay penalties or interest.

When teachers are forced to be dishonest with students they cheat them of an education.

I was reminded of what Mud Mama told me about the Waldorf conference she attended this week. The main presenter spoke about cheating our children of their childhood if we don't teach them to become loving responsible people. Being spineless and always giving or giving in creates self centred people who expect something for nothing.

Afterwards I came home, threw sticks for Kenya, picked up broken glass, watched French Kiss, and tried to calm the thoughts buzzing my brain before I went to bed. By four this morning I was at the computer doing some editing for a friend. I will need to get some sleep before I head out for a busy afternoon and evening or I will fall asleep at the African Kings show at Lansdowne Park!

2 comments:

Barbara Carlson said...

For a generation, parents/teachers have tried to give kids high self esteem, basically too often praising them for inadequacy -- children can sense this and are angry -- they feel cheated subconsciously (or consciously) and have come to distrust any praise, even if warranted. It has also robbed them of the huge satisfaction of achieving something praiseworthy through hard work.

We now have a crop of kids with too-high self-esteem -- look at all the American Idol auditioners who are incredulous when they are honestly criticized.

How hard but socially important (for all of us out here) to raise a baby human to adulthood with a balance of pride, humility and genuine self-worth. Parents are saints and martyrs to try to instill this. Not having had to do it (no kids for me), I salute you.

Oma said...

Yes, indeed, Barbara, I agree with your thoughts on this, but parenting isn't all sacrifice; there are rewards as well :-)

I think the secret to good parenting (and teaching)is to find the right balance between authority and freedom, and to give both criticism and praise honestly, fairly and realistically.

When I taught, I recognized that encouragement and constructive criticism were both necessary in the formative stages, and I saw myself as a guide and mentor during that time. Then when it was time to evaluate, I did so honestly and in a more distanced way. That was my job.

I think it is much the same for parents except that parents are not asked to do a final evaluation of their children. Society does that for them.