Friday 20 June 2008

Fields of Diamonds

"You are, at this moment, standing, right in the middle of your own 'acres of diamonds.'"
Earl Nightingale 1921-1989, Syndicated Radio Announcer and Author

I think we are, all of us, standing in our acres of diamonds. I know I am.

My acreage is certainly a treasure, and I write often about the joy of being a hermit here, but Lois told me the first time she met me after reading Gone to the Dogs for a few months that I wasn't a true hermit because I liked people too much. She is right. I have family, friends and neighbours on the lake without whom life would be lonely and sterile. A lake, a mountain and a dog are wonderful, but I also need human companionship.

My blog has brought other people into my circle of friends, and they are some of the diamonds. I am thinking of Barbara who now reads every day to see how I am, offers advice on dealing with a bruised buttock, and sends me a piece of her newest art. I am thinking of Eveline who is reconnecting after 30 years and from half a world away. I am thinking of Erin whom I hardly knew till we began reading one another's blogs.

This week has brought me incredible generosity from family and friends. I don't want to embarrasss anyone, but four people have done things for me this week that leave me without words to thank them properly. On each occasion, tears came before words.

Thank you all for being diamonds in my fields.

1 comment:

Barbara Carlson said...

Ah. You make me feel all shiny!

Even though I don't know all your other
"diamonds", today you have fashioned us together
in some exotic sparkly jewelry we can all
wear...because of you.

Love, Barbara