Monday 2 June 2008

Random Thoughts

Arrow and I talked yesterday on her 8th birthday ... she was quite definite ... she was still 7 till the magic hour of her escape from the womb. As we talked, she was surrounded by helium filled balloons and had a blue one attached to her toe.

Gabriel picked up Zeke who didn't bother to leave Kenya's food dish to greet him. I think he realized that his fears had been for nought as he stroked Kenya's head while we talked. Zeke was out in the porch rummaging about, quite unconcerned about going home with his person. The dogs were calm.

Both Gabriel and Debra were enthusiastic about Stephen Lewis' speech at the Bishop's convocation on Saturday. Gabriel was one of the graduates, and Debra had gone to be with her daughter. Debra was the guest minister at the UUC yesterday. I hadn't been to a service there for a very long time. I am glad I went. She spoke about unexpected pilgrimages when we travel, literally into the world and figuratively into ourselves, keeping ourselves open to experiences that can open our hearts and encourage us to live our lives more purposely. It made me think about my own "pilgrimage" this summer.

Not sure what today will bring. The lake is very misty this morning, and the sun has not started to burn it away. I'd like to plant the beef steak tomatoes, lavender, mint, thyme, and rosemary ... but likely won't get everything done as planting here requires dog proofing every site. But I can start.

That is one of the changes that has taken place in me. I used to feel the need to get things done RIGHT NOW. Lately I am comfortable with the idea that I can do a little today and a little more tomorrow. It likely has something to do with the enormity of the tasks surrounding me and the realization that I am just one small almost 68 year old woman. It is not patience so much as an understanding of what is possible.

No comments: