Thursday 26 February 2009

I Hate Writing




I don't hate the novel. I just hate writing in patches. I wrote another conversation out of context this morning and again felt as if I were moving mountains of dry sand uphill. This is the third or fourth patch I've written and I feel as if I am doing heavy labour each time. I remember a time when the writing took me aloft and we flew together.

I am not sure whether it is because I've lost my wings or whether I have left it too long. I still have faith in the idea and the work I've done up till now ... I am just not sure I still have faith in my ability to finish it.

It doesn't help that my eyes feel all smeary and my glasses which kept falling off when I leaned forward now give me eyestrain. (I bent them all to hell)

Anyway I keep taking knitting breaks. I have completed the pair of crazy socks and I just finished a very sweet tea cozy. Yesterday I stopped in at my favourite store in Wakefield and discovered a whole new line of Polish teapots. I restrained myself (I own three teapots and use two regularly ... I really really don't need another teapot.) This cozy will be for Marta who is not feeling well and needs to take lots of tea breaks right now.

The cozy is at the top of the email in incomprehensible script. If it ever evolves into an image you will see that the wool is variegated pinks, purples and violets. It reminds me of sunrises and sunsets.

4 comments:

Tamarak said...

That is a very sweet tea cozy!
Marta will love it!

You do need to read this book I am reading...the one I am doing for the online book club...but I am not half way finished it yet...I fell behind with getting ready for the art show and then recouping from that and then the renovations and recouping from that...and work has picked up (good for the finances, but it takes time!!!)...

I will lend it to you when I finish though...a few times it has said...even if you write nothin (if writing is what you are doing) ...you still have to show up at the table...everyday you have to show up...they say the writing will come...but you have to be there so you can catch it when it arrives...also, you have to block time to write...be selfish, don't let yourself be distracted by other things...these are all things I'm sure you know...we just have to be reminded every so often...oh...you also have to let yourself write crap and keep writing and you will work through to the good stuff...you have the talent...you just have to keep at it...don't let yourself get discouraged!

What did you do to your glasses?

Oma said...

Thanks, Tammy. Those are good reminders, but I think I AM putting in the time at the computer writing. It just feels very dead right now.

Because my eyes were smeary I tried using the second pair of glasses and every time I leaned over they fell on the floor ... so I bent them ... now they stay on but hurt.

Anonymous said...

i was going to say that i love that hat but now i realize that it's a tea cozy. i guess it would worse if i had said, hey tea cozy if it was a hat.

nonetheless i like it no matter what.

Oma said...

Thanks, Raino. I adapted a hat pattern to fit a teapot.