Thursday 5 February 2009

Sick and Tired of being Sick and Tired

I called my GP today about my laryngitis and she has faxed a prescription for thrush to my pharmacy.

I am sleeping better now ... as a matter of fact, I seem to be trying to catch up on the the six weeks of almost no sleep now. It is a real effort to get dressed in the morning and I am taking frequent naps during the day.

I am also free of the salt taste in my mouth and the constant hunger.

But my eyes are straining and everything seems blurrier than it should despite frequent polishing of lenses. I see the ophthalmologist again on the 19th.

I really hope this nonsense ends soon. It has been almost two months since the first visit to the ER.

Here is the Oma's basic sauces page:

BASIC MEAT SAUCE

ONIONS, LEEKS OR SHALLOTS
cooked till golden in

OIL
+
(GARLIC)

add and brown
GROUND MEAT OR SAUSAGE
***
FLUID
+
VEGGIES
+
HERBS OR SPICES

simmered either on stove top or in oven at 350 degrees till tender and thickened ... often hours

served with

PASTA, RICE, COUSCOUS
cooked separately and either mixed into cooked sauce or used as a base

GARNISHES

SOME CHOICES USED ALONE OR IN COMBINATION


MEATS: GROUND BEEF, VEAL, PORK, LAMB, POULTRY OR SAUSAGE ... EVEN SPARE RIBS AND STEW BEEF CAN BE USED ... AND CURED MEATS LIKE PROSCIUTTO OR DICED HAM...

VEGGIES: CARROTS, OTHER ROOT VEGETABLES, ZUCCHINI AND OTHER SQUASHES,CELERY, MUSHROOMS, PEPPERS, PARSLEY

FLAVOURINGS: SALT, PEPPER, NUTMEG + HERB MIX OF YOUR CHOICE:

ITALIAN HERBS: OREGANO, MARJORAM, THYME, BASIL, RED PEPPER FLAKES, LEMON ZEST

GREEK MIX: CINNAMON, BAY LEAF, MINT, WINE VINEGAR

ARMENIAN COMBO: BAY LEAF, ALLSPICE, CUMIN, CAYENNE, CINNAMON

CURRY: FRESH GINGER, CAYENNE, CORIANDER, CINNAMON, CLOVES, CARDAMOM

HUNGARIAN: CARAWAY, PAPRIKA, THYME

FLUIDS: WINE, CANNED TOMATOES, WATER, STOCK, TOMATO PASTE, COCONUT MILK

FINAL FLAVOURINGS: LEMON JUICE, LIME JUICE, SOUR CREAM, YOGURT

GARNISHES: CHEESE, LEAVES OF PARSLEY OR CORIANDER, FRESHLY GRATED PEPPER

LEFTOVERS? FREEZE IN SERVING SIZES

2 comments:

Barbara Carlson said...

That's the trouble with "middle" age -- we only get sick twice a year but it lasts 6 months!

Good luck with it all.
Being sick is SUCH a bore.

Oma said...

LOL. If this were middle age I would have a life expectancy of 137 years ... and if they were going to be like this one I'd say no thanks.