Monday 9 February 2009

Turning Points

I am dividing myself between the turning of the heel on the second sock and a crisis point in the novel I want to workshop this summer. Not sure which is harder ... but I think the scene in the novel is. It seems far more crucial to make the correct decisions here than in something I can either unravel or wear as is ... after all who is going to see my socks?

It is a scene in which Mary reveals what she knows to her friend Emily ... a truth that is impossible for Emily to accept. Mary's decision to tell Emily first comes from her loyalty to her friend, but the truth will sorely test both their friendship and Emily's loyalty to her family. The outcome of this conversation will change forever the lives of both families.

So I am tiptoeing around it, jotting down notes to myself ... setting the scene ... imagining their thoughts and fears ... and as terrified to start writing it as Mary is to broach the subject.

I understand why I abandoned the novel at this point the last time. It is a conversation, a scene, in which the writing must rise to the occasion. It is a test of sorts.

Sort of like a heel of a sock ...

Tamarak asked why I didn't just say the hell with knitting socks since I seemed to be spending all my time knitting, tearing out and then re-knitting. I told her that I wanted to knit socks and that the learning curve ... the challenge ... was part of it.

I hope I am also up to the challenge of writing this really tough scene.

2 comments:

Tamarak said...

I'm glad that you are meeting your challenges...I guess each of us decides what challenges are worth going after...I would not have gone after the sock challenge - but that's me!!!

I am also glad to see that you seem to have found something to be interested in...possibly passionate about! That is good news!

I have to call you about when to come out for a visit with Mom...

Oma said...

I am still tiptoeing ... but yes ... maybe I will actually write the first draft of the scene tomorrow ...