Thursday 12 February 2009

Innocence Personified (or caninified) ... this morning

I had a sleepless night, thanks to Kenya who is now snoozing away at 8 a.m.

Yesterday she moped around all day looking bereft. Her nose and ears were hot. I thought she was running a fever. I wondered if she was missing the other dogs that have been part of her life for the past couple of weeks.

I took her out for a walk and we visited a neighbour who loves dogs. She perked right up and her nose magically became cool and moist.

I relaxed.

We went to bed around 9 and at midnight Kenya was crying in that inimitable way ... part groan ... many variations in tones ... much meaning. It was similar to the "I have a tummy ache and I need to go out" message. I grumbled a bit but I let her out.

She circled the house and brought me a stick to play with. I grumbled more loudly, let her in, dried her off and returned to bed. She put her nose by mine and groaned some more ... high pitched for a groan ... more shades of meaning. I invited her into the bed.

She refused the offer. I thought ... this is the way she behaved when the wind whistled in through the open windows and she thought our home was under attack. This is anxiety. I cuddled her.

Then I helped her get up on the bed so that I could cuddle her without hanging over the side of the bed. She fell asleep for an hour. She woke up and we cuddled again. Another bit of sleep. Another cuddle. This went on most of the night. At 3:45 she took herself off the bed and disappeared. Silently, thank Dog, the dyslexic's deity.

At 6:30 I turned on the radio and she was at my bedside instantly. More cuddles.

I got up and asked if she wanted out. No way, Jose.

She nudged the Dentibone container with her nose. I gave her one.

She rattled her dish while I made tea so I fed her. Then she went to sleep for hours.

I am sure you think I starved her yesterday and she went to bed hungry. Well, those of you who don't know us might believe that nonsense, but in reality she ate more than normal yesterday, not less.

I hope it was her fear of wind and rain; that she doesn't have to be wormed. My vet never just gives her worm medication. She always has to do a stool analysis so worms are expensive.

No comments: