Tuesday 3 February 2009

What do you do at 4 a.m.?

I go on-line looking for mental stimulation.

Today I found Heather Mallick. I love the way she writes intelligently but in a very down-to-earth way. Her metaphors and allusions are all accessible ... and very female in this piece on the federal budget.

Some excerpts and where to find the whole essay:

What she wants in a crisis:

"Someone calm, astute, someone whose teacup isn't rattling in the saucer."

On the budget itself:

"It reads like one of my shopping lists, a document I always worry will be found on me if I'm in a car accident."

"A deficit budget that splashes cash about rather than pouring it where it is most needed."

Her summary:

"What a cheesy, small-time way to keep Canada just mucking along. During the biggest economic crisis the world has faced in a century, we have a prime minister as carpet salesman and a nail-biting Opposition leader in the back office with a cheap calculator."

You can read the whole thing here. It is worth reading.

http://www.heathermallick.ca/

No comments: