Wednesday 18 February 2009

Phone Calls, the Novel's Progress, Socks, and More Socks

Well ... I didn't get everything accomplished that I set out to do yesterday, but I am not unhappy with what I got done.

I finished re-reading the first 18 chapters and constructed an after-the-fact blueprint of the novel so far which will allow me to see at a glance (almost) what still has to be done ... what has to happen next ... what loose ends need to be tidied up ... you know ...

I went to the luncheon but the speaker didn't. However I sat with a table full of knitters who did try to explain grafting to me and gave me some pointers on other things like the best types of wool blends to use for socks to avoid the necessity for darning and where to find wool and knitting supplies in the area. We ate homemade lasagna, caesar salad, bread and butter pickles, coffee and a cheesecake dessert for $11 and the wine was $3.50 a glass.

I finished up the robin's egg blue boot socks that must now be felted to size, and knit a swatch of some colourful acrylic and found the needles to start the next pair of socks. They will be great to wear with my startling pink rain boots and yellow slicker in the spring.

The yarn was very cheap, but it doesn't feel nearly as nice to knit with ... partly because I am knitting on much smaller needles and partly because manmade fibres have trouble feeling as soft and real as natural fibres do. Mud Mama is bringing my order from Gaspereau Valley Fibres when she comes in March and I can luxuriate in wool then. Until then I will play with the yarn I bought on-line ... also man-made but better quality, and recommended by on-line knitters.

I managed to make a banana bread and do a load of laundry as well, and I also read more of Edgar Sawtelle. As a result, I stayed up till 10 p.m. (way past my bedtime lately!)

Today is a snow day so I will be puttering around working on Lost and Found Summer, starting the first colourful sock, and dealing with the application for the summer workshop. I will also make the phone calls and write the letter from yesterday's list.

I put off making phone calls all the time. First of all I hate the phone itself ... the technology ... the disembodied nature of the communication, and, when I make a business call, the need to get everything laid out ahead in order to make the call in the first place. Then, I hate the thought of having to sit on hold and argue with the anonymous representative(s) of a large uncaring corporation about a mistake they made. The last time I was forced to do it (Hydro had lost a $600 payment of mine) I spent five hours on the phone and had to go into the village to get bank statements photocopied and mailed to prove I was right. I was completely wrung out by the end of the day. Maybe I should get a speaker phone so I can knit or read while on hold.

Kenya would also like me to go for a couple of long walks with her ... she keeps bringing sticks to the back door asking me to come out with her instead of working at my computer or my knitting ... so I will make sure I fit in some time outside as well. Perhaps between phone calls to blow off steam!

No comments: