Wednesday 16 April 2008

Henry's Journal Day 1


Henry has chosen to write letters to Marta.

April 16, 2008

Hi Marta,

Last night I slept with Kenya on the floor near Oma's bed. I started out beside the bed and Kenya started out on one of the dog pillows. Then there was a terrible crash and Kenya jumped straight off her cushion onto me and we both asked Oma what happened. She picked up the bedside lamp the pillow had knocked over and told us it was all right and we should back to sleep. Kenya lay down in my spot so I went over to her cushion. You never told me that cushions are softer than the floor. It's not so bad here.

Yesterday afternoon I wasn't so sure.

First of all Oma put me in the car and drove at a snail's pace through traffic for an hour and a half. I kept on panting but she didn't seem to realize I would really rather be walking. Finally we arrived and we both peed on a weed. Whew! That felt better.

Then Oma hauled the toboggan with my overnight bag, food and her purchases on it. I ran alongside sniffing and mini-peeing everywhere. Have to let the neighbours know I'm here, you know. There's one called Mae West who makes a lot of noise but I haven't seen her in the fur, so to speak. We skidded down the last hill and then I heard the other dog barking. She didn't sound happy at all.

And she sure didn't look friendly when she shot out the door straight for me , growling and snarling the whole way. She reminded me of a trapped cat.

Oma invited me inside. I was just about to come in the house when Kenya said I wasn't allowed.

Oma told her what a nice dog I was and how I was her buddy. She just kept on grumbling, but she didn't act as nasty. Something about Oma's tone when she spoke to her, I think.

After a while we went outside together. Kenya kept on putting her paw on my shoulder and saying, "C'mon. Let's wrestle." I'm getting too old for that stuff so I chased her instead. She thought that was great. Then we took turns chasing and being chased. She'd chase me and then one of us would turn and the other would follow. After about fifteen minutes of this I was starting to get dizzy so I lay down and rested in the snow.

I really like rolling around in the snow. When I finished and we went in the house for a while, Kenya cleaned the branches out of my bum feathers. Not everyone likes to clean up your bum feathers. I am beginning to like her even though she has such a rotten temper at times.

When you arrived with my meds about an hour after we got here, I thought you might stay but no, you headed straight back into town. I almost cried, but then Kenya said we could play outside some more, so it was okay. As you know I don't tend to dwell on things.

Kenya and I ate and played till almost 9. Way past my normal bedtime. I was wiped out.
So was Kenya. She slept on one side of Oma and I lay on the other. She had my Kong beside her and I had her blue ring. I like my Kong better, but I didn't want to annoy her and get her started again, so I decided to wait till she got tired of it.

Ooops ... spoke too soon ... I thought she asleep for the night. That dog has wayyy too much energy. She started throwing the Kong at me. I pretended to sleep. Thought maybe she'd quit and we could all get a good night's sleep soon.

Finally ... she got the message. Then Oma said, "Okay let's go to bed."

I thought we were in bed.

Right now we are going out to pee so Oma can send this to the blog. What is a blog, Marta? Oma just ignores my question, but Kenya says it rhymes with dog so it's something about us.


Love and tail wags,

Henry




No comments: